.243 rifle

alec2211

I'm looking for a new rifle to replace my old parkerhale midland, I love this guns accuracy reliability and feel, it's had thousands of rounds through it and still shoots as straight as when it was new but I feel it's time to trade it in and upgrade. Question I have is what's available ans your reviews on the different makes available.

I'm looking for a new rifle to replace my old parkerhale midland, I love this guns accuracy reliability and feel, it's had thousands of rounds through it and still shoots as straight as when it was new but I feel it's time to trade it in and upgrade. Question I have is what's available ans your reviews on the different makes available.

Whats your budget?

I have perhaps missed something, but it I had a rifle that was accurate, reliable and whose feel suited me I would be wondering what precice benefits the 'upgrade' I had a sudden yearning for might really bring!
:)

I agree with the last 2 posts. If you love it and it does everything asked of it, keep it.
Maybe get it re-crowned, action bedded, cerakoted to bring it back to former glory (gloss socom blue :)) and you can lavish some time and tru oil on the stock.

Then you have a new looking rifle but all the attributes of the old one. Like an old friend in a new suit.

Or get her rebarrelled, do the above and have hundreds of quid in a rifle worth very little. But she is yours and you love her :D

If if that's not an option, depending on budget, go Howa, Tikka, Sako or CZ. You even keep the mauser action with the last choice.
All good brands, pick a few you can afford then research the hell out of them and whittle out the less than perfect ones.

Last edited:
If its in your budget, keep then one you have and get a variation for second .243 , i personally love Sako rifles, have one in 22-250 excelent quality and shoot fantastic right out the box, or go total custom, if you keep the one you have you can always go back to it if you are not happy with the new one

A upgrade will not kill anymore deer , only leave you less to spend on bullets,

If Alec wishes to keep the Gun Trade buoyant I say let him at it. From the replies to date you'd be forgiven for believing it a crime to yearn for something new ‎and that he's the first shooter to be given of such a whim!

Checkout the Blaser variants. *

K‎

I didn't know I could get a variation for a calibre I already had? If I could do that id be interested in the tikka t3 hunter, what would be my reason for wanting to aquire a same calibre?

I didn't know I could get a variation for a calibre I already had? If I could do that id be interested in the tikka t3 hunter, what would be my reason for wanting to aquire a same calibre?

Lots of possible reasons. One zeroed and set up for fox (perhaps with some funky night sight which would not be deer legal), the other for deer, for example.

Or, one for woodland and one for "the hill", as they say.

If you have significant deer management responsibilities then simply "a spare" for when it's with a gunsmith....

I'm sure there are other justifications that have been successfully used.

Guy

If you belong to a rifle club you might find the Tikka's balance and weight is better suited to the "competitions" you take part in but it will also be used for longer range deer and vermin work.

K

Treat yourself, it's nice buying new guns. After all not many people out there with only one shotgun in their cabinet. Regarding accuracy, unless you buy one with a shot out barrel, or one that's been damaged, there's very little in it.

Back