Prevention of crime and self defence

The police have always recorded crime to suit themselves. One example being sheds being broken into. When they need to provide evidence to get more resources to use for burglars, these were recorded as burglaries. When they then want to show how well they've done, they are recorded as thefts from a garden. Hey presto, look how good we did!

Thats the problem with setting targets and not just letting the police get on with it.

A number of of years ago in Brighton if you were drunk and disorderly in town on a weekend you got arrested and a ticket for D&D, non recordable and a simple fine. When they started to hound officers for detections to prove they were "solving crime" the same instances you'd now get arrested for Sec 5 Public Order Act. Witness statements would need to be obtained thus taking officers off the streets for longer but it meant the offence was now "recordable" and so could be detected. Stats then showed that Brighton was rife with violent crime when there has been no change at all!

its what happens when you let politics get into policing

Listened to a program on Radio 4 the other week about crime statistics... turns out a lot of "incidents" are not actually being recorded as a crime... using this tactic statistics can be made to do anything you want them to. I was quite surprised.

As Disraeli said " There's lies, damn lies and statistics"

Without a doubt, as the financial cuts dig deeper watch out for more jiggery pokery by those in charge to show how the police are doing much better despite less resources. Thus enhancing their own reputations for the next promotion. Despite this leading to even more cuts. In the meantime, officers actually doing some policing are having to use their time to produce more statistics to show this and all the time getting more frustrated by not having the time to do a decent job.

Without a doubt, as the financial cuts dig deeper watch out for more jiggery pokery by those in charge to show how the police are doing much better despite less resources. Thus enhancing their own reputations for the next promotion. Despite this leading to even more cuts. In the meantime, officers actually doing some policing are having to use their time to produce more statistics to show this and all the time getting more frustrated by not having the time to do a decent job.

I actually think that the top brass are getting fed up with trying to achieve the government targets and are now finally admitting that it can't go on and the service will suffer. A numer of CCs have spoken out and more are following suit.

unfortunately some crimes won't get investigated properly but now we'll have to stop responding to the dross that isn't a police issue but over recent years has crept into the police remit.

Having stirred a bit further I have the local MP and the CC (again) coming to see me and a few other like minded farmers on Friday for a frank discussion on rural crime and what the future holds.

I'm sure it's not going to make a great deal of difference to the world, but if you don't try nothing is going to happen.

Good luck with this ^^^ :thumb:

Good luck with this ^^^ :thumb:

Not holding my breath but you have got to have a go when the opportunity presents itself. Got a couple of like minded farmers to come along as well so they will get a "balanced" view of life in the country.

Back