Thread: Palace of Westminster shooting range to close

Palace of Westminster shooting range to close

Heard on 5 live today but nothing on the web.
    Lack of use is cited.
    Too scared to use it in case someone outed them for it probably.
    Morons
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

The word 'Westminster' to me is synonymous with the word 'moron'. Even if the collective pooled their resources they'd still fail to produce even a modest pair of b ollocks
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

The barrels of gunpowder downstairs have probably eventually run out.

Woodsmoke, that was beautiful!!

I can't find anything recent on the web,just this...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...zyslQOh3QY6Xxg

It seems quite a secretive set-up.
    I had to smile at the choices of what to do with it.
    Keep it as a range or turn it into a swimming pool or a crèche.
    It's just like my workplace.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

Quote Originally Posted by private fraser View Post
    I can't find anything recent on the web,just this...

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...zyslQOh3QY6Xxg

It seems quite a secretive set-up.
    I had to smile at the choices of what to do with it.
    Keep it as a range or turn it into a swimming pool or a crèche.
    It's just like my workplace.
    They already have an on-site Westminster Nursery. No doubt considered the "ultimate club” for kids!

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I've thrown my hat in the ring as a contender for most BPOW (BPOW MAN) ....?, but can see there's no chance against this underhand type of thread.

It appears that the number of their Lordships (all 852 of them) is set to increase dramatically with casualties from the General Election in May. The Palace of Westminster is stuffed to overflowing already, so they are looking for more space. The very last sentence is particularly interesting.
    These worthies are unpaid public servants, and what follows is lifted from the Parliamentary website:-
    Most members of the Lords do not receive a salary for their parliamentary duties but are eligible to receive allowances and, within certain limits, the travel expenses they incur in fulfilling their parliamentary duties.

Members who are not paid a salary may claim a flat rate attendance allowance of £150 or £300 for each sitting day they attend the House. This daily allowance replaces the separate overnight subsistence, day subsistence and office costs in the previous system. Entitlement is determined by attendance, not residence criteria.
    Some members of the Lords receive a salary because of the offices they hold.

House of Lords disclosure log - UK Parliament

Parliamentary rifle range [FOI 988] - UK Parliament

Draft House of Lords Reform Bill - Joint Committee on the Draft House of Lords Reform Bill Contents

Mr Graham Allen MP (QQ 639-650)

Q640 The Chairman: Thank you very much indeed. I start by saying that on the square footage argument I was very pleased to hear you say that this was something that both Houses could deal with. It was not an argument that would appeal very much outside, but inside the Palace of Westminster it could be dealt with by both Houses. Might that mean that the House of Commons would think of releasing part of its accommodation for the enlarged House of Lords in the interim?

Graham Allen: I would very much hope that we would work together and find space, whether it is the rifle range or wherever. We knew that we could never have a nursery in the old days because people needed space for this, that and the other. Also, if anyone cares to walk around Westminster, they will see that there are lots of boards outside offering space. If we cannot create effective office space for Members, it will be beyond us to create an effective democracy in this country.

Prepared 23 April 2012

http://www.publications.parliament.u...84/284ii42.htm
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by hcm1 View Post
    Woodsmoke, that was beautiful!!
    And sincere
    A Man should be wise, but never too wise. He who does not know his fate in advance is free of care

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    If we cannot create effective office space for Members, it will be beyond us to create an effective democracy in this country.
    So as at 23rd April 2012 we didn't have effective democracy in this Country? Despite all the navel-gazing I don't think much has changed...