Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 Stutzen

Sako 85 Stutzen

Im thinking of changing my Tikka T3 super varmint 6.5x55se for a Sako 85 Barvarian Carbine stutzen in the same calibre.
    Anyone here have one and can comment on one for stalking?
    Thanks in advance.

Very very different beasts. Your T3 Super Varmint is a heavy target / varmint style rifle much better shot off a bipod, steady rest and the heavy barrel allows long string of shots without barrel warming too much and shots wandering off. Its weight makes it very easy to shoot - lie down open bipod, put cross hair on target and squeeze. Its weight will cancel out quite a bit of operator error in terms of breathing, heart rate etc. If you are wanting to pick small vermin at 300 yards its just the job. T3's are good accurate rifles, but are built to a price - not the price we pay, but look at the price they pay in the US. And its very heavy, or perhaps you hadnt noticed that?

I cannot say that I have handled the 85 Bavarian, but I have shot and handled older sako 243 left handed fullstock carbine in 243, and I really do like the old 6.5x54 Manllichers. They are light, short and very easy to handle. Carrying them is effortless. Sako's are well made and the 85 is a good rifle. Major difference is the magazine which is a double stack so you can load through the top as well as dropping the magazine, and it it has metal trigger guard, bolt shrouds etc. Intrinsically they will pretty much as accurate as the T3 Varmint, but you will need to do your bit. Beacuse they are light and short you will have to concentrate on your breathing, trigger pull etc. They certainly are not the the rifle of choice for shooting long strings of shots at targets, but as a hunting rifle where 99% of the time its being carried and most of your shots are at 150 yds or less they will more than accurate enough to keep bullets in the kill zone. On paper, if you take your time you will shoot small groups, but realistically it's probably a 1" and a bit.

One point though with the short carbine barrel is they are noisier than a longer barrel. Not an issue when practicing / zeroing as you should have hearing protection on, and on gameyou are not shooting many shots so overall noise impact on the environment is not high.

I use a lightweight combination gun most of the time and on deer every thing has dropped to the spot. Yes I did miss a fox at 180 odd yards last year, cause got buck fever, and was using a fence post as a rest and shot quickly and just missed. If it was a deer it would have been dead. Given that it was a cub, it flicked its years and carried on looking for the mouse, and I settled down properly got nice and steady and shot it properly.

Yes, night vs day, the T3 Varmint vs the Sako Bavarian Stutzen.

I have owned Mannlichers, and full-stocked carbine Mausers, in 6.5x54, .243, .308, .30-06, and .270.

i have only handled the Sako 85 Bavarian, in rifle and in Stutzen. Lovely rifles. Without knowing what other rifles you have, I would suggest the rifle, not the carbine, in 6.5x55. If going to the carbine, I would go a larger bore, like 7mm-08 or .308 Win. It has really good sights on it, like the Steyr, Heym and Sauers do. The stocks right up my alley, but you need to handle them yourself.

For woodland staking it might be said you are handicapping yourself with anything other than a Stutzen.

Even good for mustelid bashing if of a minor calibre when venturing into the meadow.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I also have a 300wm so the stutzen would be solely for stalking, forest, field and hill...
    Would the shorter barrel of the stutzen have a negative effect on the hill where long shots would be possile?
    Thanks for the replies., some great food for thought.

All stalkers should have a Stutzen in there cabinet , My brother has a Ruger No1 Stutzen in 30.06 with a custom fitted vintage Zeiss 4 x 32 scope lovey ,it's he's main stalking rifle & I've lost count how many deer that rifle has taken ...
    ..ive looked at the Sako Bavarian Stutzen a few times now ,got to say its one stunning rifle & I bet it's a delight to stalk with . Go & buy it & post the photos on here for all to enjoy ..

Quote Originally Posted by tac29136 View Post
    I also have a 300wm so the stutzen would be solely for stalking, forest, field and hill...
    Would the shorter barrel of the stutzen have a negative effect on the hill where long shots would be possile?
    Thanks for the replies., some great food for thought.
    It might reduce the velocity a wee bit so that you need to sight it 1 1/2" rather than 1" high at 100 yds to be spot on at 200 yds. In real terms not a lot.

edit .... I have just run the numbers on http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-re...ics-calculator. Given a 140 gn SsT bullet. Assume 2700 fps muzzle vel, 2" high at 100 gives a 200 yd zero.

Drop vel to 2600, due to shorter barrel, for 200 yd zero you need 2.2" high at 100 for 200 yd zero.
    Last edited by Heym SR20; 19-02-2015 at 00:01.

Quote Originally Posted by tac29136 View Post
    Im thinking of changing my Tikka T3 super varmint 6.5x55se for a Sako 85 Barvarian Carbine stutzen in the same calibre.
    Anyone here have one and can comment on one for stalking?
    Thanks in advance.
    I think that would be a great choice. I use a Steyr Mannlicher stutzen in 7mm-08 for all my stalking (up until now). Before I bought it, I had a lot of people telling me not to because you couldn't put a moderator on it, or the wood might warp and ruin the free-floating barrel and so on. And then at Bisley, people made more comments about how there was more wood on it than on their dining room table, more stuff about free-floating barrels and noisiness. Concerns around accuracy and free-floating barrels are nonsense. The wood is good quality walnut, the barrel floats. I have no doubt the same would be the case for the Sako version. It's not a target rifle, after three shots, the POIs start wandering a bit as the barrel warms up. But if I take my time, I can have 1" groups regularly, and last time I shot the stalker test, I scored a 98/100. That is more than good enough for stalking. The worst ammunition I tried was some Remington factory stuff and that made a 2.5" group. Which would still kill your deer at 100 metres.

It's lovely and light to carry, great to handle and point, and generally a joy to own and use. It's not even that noisy. Admittedly, I don't use it day in, day out on the hill. I'm a hobbyist. As such it doesn't need to be primarily a tool, but it does need to reliably put bullets where I want them and enhance my enjoyment of my rare stalking opportunities when I am lucky enough to be out, and it does that in spades.

I am biased towards stutzens, own and use four of them in 9.3x62, 7x64, 5.6x57 amd .22LR. I have been in love with the styling ever since I read a Bob Milek review of a Sako 30.06 in Guns and Ammo 35 years or more ago whilst at school.

I've just got on and used them as standard and personally never felt handicapped that they weren't free floated, moderated or whatever. The styling of the Sako Bavarian stutzen is spot on and it would be a dream gun for me especially in a European calibre like 7x64 or 8x57.

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILAIRE View Post
    I am biased towards stutzens, own and use four of them in 9.3x62, 7x64, 5.6x57 amd .22LR. I have been in love with the styling ever since I read a Bob Milek review of a Sako 30.06 in Guns and Ammo 35 years or more ago whilst at school.

I've just got on and used them as standard and personally never felt handicapped that they weren't free floated, moderated or whatever. The styling of the Sako Bavarian stutzen is spot on and it would be a dream gun for me especially in a European calibre like 7x64 or 8x57.
    Best I can do for now:

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.