Thread: IR illuminator beam shape

IR illuminator beam shape

Last night is was very dark and we were having some IR issues, but resolved with new battery.

I was intrested to note that when watching a DP in action with IR and I was using a NV Mumm the IR beam is actually square and had a darkend line through the middle in effect a magnified image of the LED, is this normal.

Quite weird to be using all the kit at once, but we did eventually account for a v wary VIXEN !!!!

ant thoughts?

D

Quite normal its a projection of the Emitter normally you defocus slightly to give a more even Beam colour with no lines

Heres my video showing My IR illuminators

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Quite normal its a projection of the Emitter normally you defocus slightly to give a more even Beam colour with no lines
    Just to confirm what FGYT said above..... this is a pic on my bathroom ceiling using 3 torches with white and a red LED's

Big white is a standard T20, the smaller white is a NM800 and the red is a T20 Sunnranger... simply a T20 with the bezel cut back to the threads and a Yukon Ranger 1.7 'doubler' lens screwed on (same thread size )

As you can see the die focus of the Sunnranger is tiny compared to the others.....meaning that a single battery gives pretty good focus and intensity at good ranges and doesn't waste too much spreading it's light around. The single battery driver gives out a bit more mAh at 1040 as opposed to the usual 1000mAh of twin battery drivers.

If you de-focus as FGYT says..... wind the head towards the LED rather than away from it... the lens catches more light that way, rather than having it bouncing around the inside of the torch head and causing more of a halo when it exits the lens. Well, that's the theory

Cheers

Fizz