Thread: Dam Monkey Metal

Dam Monkey Metal

I was taking the action off my rifle (Browning A bolt) yesterday to trim my stock forend a little where it touches the barrel when the moderator is fitted and heard a ping and saw a bit of silver metal drop to the floor, I thought it was a shim but on closer inspection it was the bloody trigger blade that had snapped wtf!! It must have caught on the stock as I was parting them.

It's made of bloody die cast monkey metal, even my old 100 air rifle has a machined aluminium trigger. I managed to stick it together with super glue so I could still go down the range for my reload testing but it gave up the ghost after 30 rounds so only got half way through my load developments.

So anyone got a spare trigger blade kicking around or know where I can get one or what to use to try and fix it?

I think that's an email to head office and a new free trigger in the post overnight delivery...at least, that's what I would expect from any half decent business.

SD Regular
    Agreed Browning should rectify ASAP. Or just fit a decent aftermarket kit. That's awful quality to do that......
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Strongly worded email and pictures to browning customer services, I suspect they will be very keen to rectify the mistake.

Cast components are common in many modern rifles from various rifle manufacturers. I suspect that there was possibly a casting flaw in this trigger blade. I am sure that Browning/Miroku will be very interested to hear of this and will be happy to replace it though I would think that they will insist on the work being done by a gunsmith of their choosing rather than have you carry out the repair yourself.

I've had my A-Bolt out of the stock a couple of times and am curious as to how this happened as I never had any difficulty removing my action from the stock.
    Last edited by 8x57; 19-02-2015 at 07:05.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

that looks like 40 mins with some steel an angle grinder, a drill and some needle files to work up a new metal one IMO

wouldn't ask Browning for another cast one personally

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Cast components are common in many modern rifles from various rifle manufacturers. I suspect that there was possibly a casting flaw in this trigger blade. I am sure that Browning/Miroku will be very interested to hear of this and will be happy to replace it though I would think that they will insist on the work being done by a gunsmith of their choosing rather than have you carry out the repair yourself.

I've had my A-Bolt out of the stock a couple of times and am curious as to how this happened as I never had any difficulty removing my action from the stock.
    Has anyone actually tried contacting Browning International? I couldn't find any hint of an email address on their website, I eventually found a contact email address through their facebook site and contacted them and explained the problem and sent the picture and had a reply this morning asking for my address, which I duly supplied and then got a snotty reply telling me they had them instock at the Belgium warehouse but they only supply to the trade and that I would have to order one through a UK RFD and it would take 7-14 days to be delivered.

So I guess Browning don't give two hoots about customer service.

I was reading about someone elses experience with Browning USA as regards the same problem with the same model rifle as mine and they had awful problems, apparently browning insisted that he ship the rifle to them so they could assess the problem and wouldn't give him a price before hand or he could order the whole trigger assembly to be delivered to a firearms dealer as they wouldn't just supply the trigger blade and at a cost of $160.

I was actually looking at a review at lunch about a new A bolt shotgun and that had the same cast type trigger, even my airsoft pistol is made of better stuff, I doubt I will buy anything from them in the future without first checking out the quality of the components.

As to your query on how it happened, well the stock and action are very stiff to part on this one and I've found you have to start by gently prising the forend from the barrel and then it normally slips apart but I guess this time the trigger caught on the stock and it gave up the ghost, it certainly wasn't excessive force I was using. The previous owner used a trigger lock on it so whether that's been putting extra pressure on the trigger tip over time and weakened it who knows

Browning certainly don't make it easy for the public to contact them direct in this country as they probably want everyone to go through the dealer network. I had some difficulty myself when trying to email them previously on another matter regarding ammunition components. I can also understand and was expecting them to say that they would only supply dealers or gunsmiths with trigger units, no doubt because of liability issues.

Rather disappointing that you should find their customer service so poor as the sort of service you receive from the importer/distributor will and has already influenced your future purchases. Perhaps they are just looking at this short term and only seeing an inexpensive rifle which was purchased secondhand and for which their warranty had long expired. If so rather short sighted in my opinion regarding your continued future brand loyalty. Perhaps they could at the very least have offered to supply a replacement trigger unit to a gunsmith at cost price in which case they might just have bagged a future customer.

When I said about the ease with the action came out of my stock I should have mentioned the need to ensure that it comes straight out and is not levered. This is because of the bedding which while not exactly generous is still just enough to ensure a snug fit. Interesting point you make about the trigger lock. I'm not impressed by most of them and if this is the case another reason to leave well alone.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.