Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: night vision optics versus the traditional lamping

night vision optics versus the traditional lamping

Does using nv ruining your shooting or improve it, if there wasnt lamp shy foxes i would find it boring just shooting one after another in total darkness, boring for your companion too, thats my thoughts on it, what do others think.

Thermal is the way forwards,

If you can afford it, id be looking at spending at least 3k for a reliable sight.

Plenty of units available, but some are clearly better than others.

Refresh rate, start up, objective size, warranty and recoil resilience all factors to take into consideration.

I wouldn't look at anything with less than 30htz refresh for starters..

That sounds an awful lot of money to shoot foxes mr redmist , if you got a return from shooting the foxes it mite be worth the investment for some,for game keepers its more of a necessity, i shoot them for sport, not sure that sounds too good, oh well

If you ask me i think you should need a lisence to have nv, if somebody is out shooting in the dark you should only be allowed to use lamps.nv is a great poaching tool , maybe i should get one after all

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    If you ask me i think you should need a lisence to have nv, if somebody is out shooting in the dark you should only be allowed to use lamps.nv is a great poaching tool , maybe i should get one after all
    Thats why shooting deer using Night Vision is illegal .. I use both and I believe they both have their downsides. NV is ideal if your a lone shooter and the lamp is more of a two man job. NV is also ideal if you shoot where there is a lot of houses about a good lamp is like daylight when it hits a houses window at the dead of night also NV is ideal for lamp shy bunnies and foxes . So they both have their uses
    Last edited by Tulloch; 18-02-2015 at 20:26.

I had a look threw a nv scope a few months back and I must say I was very impressed, ive no idea what make it was,4 to 500 worth I think I was told, low magnification though.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Does using nv ruining your shooting or improve it, if there wasnt lamp shy foxes i would find it boring just shooting one after another in total darkness, boring for your companion too, thats my thoughts on it, what do others think.
    I certainly don't think it ruins your shooting. It changes how you shoot and hopefully makes you more productive, but it does not make it like shooting fish in a barrel. You still have to use all your field craft skills to get to make the shot - sometimes more so. I was a bit worried it would take the fun out, but I can happily say I have far more fun - and am more productive - using NV and TI gear. Wouldn't be without it.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Nv is the way forward, wheres the fun in seeing 5 lamp shy foxes and not getting a shot! I like to do abit of dusk-dawn hunting for foxes too.

Nv isnt a magical way of killing lots of foxes. Most nv dont like fog or mist. Bright moon light also makes the ir less effective. Rain on the lenses is also a real pain. I also use my nv for rabbit and rat control. I use a starlight archer and longbow combo.

Each to their own - however why do a lot of stalkers feel the need to shoot fox on site? A fox has a teritorry like a deer has shoot one you get more in a good area with a big food source - fox needs managed not wiped out
    NV being cheap worries me for the above reason and also using your gun scope in many cases to see and find what you are shooting at - wrong hands- fox fever what could possibly go wrong

Neil i use a longbow nv scope, and its almost to easy to shoot foxs, as long as you use the wind to your advantage,
    When i shoot the next 1000 yds at Bisley with Matt, ill bring it down to show you.