night vision optics versus the traditional lamping

swarovski

Does using nv ruining your shooting or improve it, if there wasnt lamp shy foxes i would find it boring just shooting one after another in total darkness, boring for your companion too, thats my thoughts on it, what do others think.

Thermal is the way forwards,

If you can afford it, id be looking at spending at least 3k for a reliable sight.

Plenty of units available, but some are clearly better than others.

Refresh rate, start up, objective size, warranty and recoil resilience all factors to take into consideration.

I wouldn't look at anything with less than 30htz refresh for starters..

That sounds an awful lot of money to shoot foxes mr redmist :D, if you got a return from shooting the foxes it mite be worth the investment for some,for game keepers its more of a necessity, i shoot them for sport, not sure that sounds too good, oh well ;)

If you ask me i think you should need a lisence to have nv, if somebody is out shooting in the dark you should only be allowed to use lamps.nv is a great poaching tool :-|:D, maybe i should get one after all :D

If you ask me i think you should need a lisence to have nv, if somebody is out shooting in the dark you should only be allowed to use lamps.nv is a great poaching tool :-|:D, maybe i should get one after all :D

Thats why shooting deer using Night Vision is illegal .. I use both and I believe they both have their downsides. NV is ideal if your a lone shooter and the lamp is more of a two man job. NV is also ideal if you shoot where there is a lot of houses about a good lamp is like daylight when it hits a houses window at the dead of night also NV is ideal for lamp shy bunnies and foxes . So they both have their uses

Last edited:
I had a look threw a nv scope a few months back and I must say I was very impressed, ive no idea what make it was,4 to £500 worth I think I was told, low magnification though.

Does using nv ruining your shooting or improve it, if there wasnt lamp shy foxes i would find it boring just shooting one after another in total darkness, boring for your companion too, thats my thoughts on it, what do others think.

I certainly don't think it ruins your shooting. It changes how you shoot and hopefully makes you more productive, but it does not make it like shooting fish in a barrel. You still have to use all your field craft skills to get to make the shot - sometimes more so. I was a bit worried it would take the fun out, but I can happily say I have far more fun - and am more productive - using NV and TI gear. Wouldn't be without it.

Nv is the way forward, wheres the fun in seeing 5 lamp shy foxes and not getting a shot! I like to do abit of dusk-dawn hunting for foxes too.

Nv isnt a magical way of killing lots of foxes. Most nv dont like fog or mist. Bright moon light also makes the ir less effective. Rain on the lenses is also a real pain. I also use my nv for rabbit and rat control. I use a starlight archer and longbow combo.

Each to their own - however why do a lot of stalkers feel the need to shoot fox on site? A fox has a teritorry like a deer has shoot one you get more in a good area with a big food source - fox needs managed not wiped out
NV being cheap worries me for the above reason and also using your gun scope in many cases to see and find what you are shooting at - wrong hands- fox fever what could possibly go wrong

Neil i use a longbow nv scope, and its almost to easy to shoot foxs, as long as you use the wind to your advantage,
When i shoot the next 1000 yds at Bisley with Matt, ill bring it down to show you.

Yep,that's what we need, a nv licencing department.
It'll be properly staffed and be quick on grants,variations and 1 for 1's...cheap too.
Lol

yes especially as you can build a good set For £100-£200 ish with Parts of Ebay
Im sure poachers will hand all theirs in and promise not to make any without a licence

Nv is the way forward, wheres the fun in seeing 5 lamp shy foxes and not getting a shot! I like to do abit of dusk-dawn hunting for foxes too.

Nv isnt a magical way of killing lots of foxes. Most nv dont like fog or mist. Bright moon light also makes the ir less effective. Rain on the lenses is also a real pain. I also use my nv for rabbit and rat control. I use a starlight archer and longbow combo.
I didnt realise the nv was fussy on the weather conditions

Last edited:
Neil i use a longbow nv scope, and its almost to easy to shoot foxs, as long as you use the wind to your advantage,
When i shoot the next 1000 yds at Bisley with Matt, ill bring it down to show you.
ok gunner that would be good, ive got them bullets in my shooting bag ready for you.

If we knew where you lived it may help so that kind fellow shooters could offer you the chance to pop around and have a look at their scope set up,

I love lamping but I have a few areas where the foxs are very lamp shy (understatement) so I have gone to the drone pro and if you lived near me you would be welcome to have a night out on the trigger,

Bob,

Last edited:
yes especially as you can build a good set For £100-£200 ish with Parts of Ebay
Im sure poachers will hand all theirs in and promise not to make any without a licence
I thought I would get a bite on the licence remark :D I am surprised how few people replied, hopefully coz not many have nv or ti rather than the rest poach with theirs :-| :rofl:

Thermal is the way forwards,

If you can afford it, id be looking at spending at least 3k for a reliable sight.

Plenty of units available, but some are clearly better than others.

Refresh rate, start up, objective size, warranty and recoil resilience all factors to take into consideration.

I wouldn't look at anything with less than 30htz refresh for starters..

I totally disagree if you are refering to thermal riflescopes? Thermal is great for spotting but a massive accident waiting to happen as a scope! Identification is an absolute nightmare with thermal and someone will shoot something they shouldn't! Thermal for spotting and NV for the identification and shooting.

Last edited:
Thats the system a mate uses, think they have a high end thermal imager, am talking lots of thousands, I dont like the thought of some wandering around unseen, lamps shinning around let others know someone is about,I've been out lamping in the past and seen
2 more lamps shinning around in the distance.

Last edited:
I totally disagree if you are refering to thermal riflescopes? Thermal is great for spotting but a massive accident waiting to happen as a scope! Identification is an absolute nightmare with thermal and someone will shoot something they shouldn't! Thermal for spotting and NV for the identification and shooting.

I totally disagree. I have NV, Thermal Mono and Thermal scope. I use a combo gun and the shotgun barrel. Most of rabbits are shot at 15 yards. Foxes at 25 yards. There can be no mistaking a rabbit or fox in the grass for anything but a rabbit at that range.

Here there can be no mistaking the rabbits or the foxes and at a range of 10 yards thermal is more than adequate.

Last edited:
Thats the system a mate uses, think they have a high end thermal imager, am talking lots of thousands, I dont like the thought of some wandering around unseen, lamps shinning around let others know someone is about,I've been out lamping in the past and seen
2 more lamps shinning around in the distance.

including the anti hunt lot

several Facebook pages have them actively looking for Gen 3 NVD so they can spot IR beams from Hunters and disrupt them as well

Back