Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dogs chasing deer

Dogs chasing deer

I was out yesterday afternoon and decided to sit up a highseat and see what was about, after about half an hour, I could hear some dogs barking, then a roe deer appeared running up the boundary hedge/ ditch with 2 jack Russell's in hot pursuit on the neighbours side.
    the dogs were grabbing the deers legs, and the deer would stop, then they released it and barked at it until it ran again, this happened several times before the deer went down and screeched when the dogs grabbed it by the neck.
    i unload and got down from the seat and approached on my side of the boundary as an out of breath owner of the dogs appeared, he got hold of the dogs just as I got to the scene and I aired my opinion to him of the events quite clearly.
    i asked him several times where the deer was and he said it had ran into the nearby wood 100 yrds away when he got the dogs of off the deer, I was not convinced and could hear a noise 20 yrds away in the ditch, so I looked in from my side, while the guy walked away dragging the 2 terriers, and found the deer exhausted led in the ditch with its head swaying from side to side, it didn't try to move when I was next to it so I despatched it immediately.
    the deer had bite marks on all its lower legs and blood coming from neck wounds and its nose and mouth.
    on inspection the deer appeared to be a last years fawn and was quite skinny, I gralloched it and there were no concerns on the internals, maybe a little sign of pneumonia but nothing else.

should I report the dogs owner and who to ?
    can the deer go into the food chain ( it was despatched by a shot all be at very close range) ?
    anything else I should do ?

Sounds like you shot it on the wrong side of the fence? if that's the case you could end up in a deal of trouble if you are too vocal about the issue unless you know the owner of the land and you are confident they would be happy with your actions. The deer belongs to your neighbour.

Dave

Agree with devilishdave, unless you had permission, you committed a big no no. Also, member since 07, but 3 posts and no sign of an intro......?
    Opinions are like arseholes....... we all have them, and most of them stink

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    The deer belongs to your neighbour.

Dave
    Pedantic I know but the deer actually belong to the person who shoots or takes the deer legally.

or is that just this side of the wall?
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

I have permission from the neighbour to follow and despatch deer if required on his land. the hedge / ditch set up is as follows from my side a stock fence, then hedge,then brook then a hedge and stock fence on the neighbours, I checked with my landowner last night and he confirmed that the ditch centreline is the boundary.
    i also let the neighbour know last night what had happened and he had no complaints about my actions.

Report them. I wouldnt want to see that happen

unfortunately out of control dogs do this sort of think often ,yet there is very little you can do apart from report the matter to the police who may warn the dogs owner about trespass and allowing dogs in there charge to cause unnesacry suffering to a wild animal.
    It is something RSPCA should be chasing but I bet they would not.

Well done for ending the deer's suffering.

I'm wondering if it was already sick or wounded though as I wouldn't have thought Jack Russells would normally be able to keep up with a healthy roe deer would they?

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post

I'm wondering if it was already sick or wounded though as I wouldn't have thought Jack Russells would normally be able to keep up with a healthy roe deer would they?

Alex
    That was my initial thoughts as well. . . My GWP can't look near catching a healthy roe let alone a Jack Russel.
    A wounded one is a different story but not a healthy beast.

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post

Alex
    No way would they. In the days when it was legal it took the buckhounds some considerable time to bring one to bay.