FAC Application form - a few queries?

rigboot

Hi guys,

Brain picking time :D

I am currently going through my FAC application form and would like to ask some advice regarding the wording of the replies.

Q19 asks for calibre, type, reason & where intended use is?

..Now, the first two are straight forward enough and I will remember to list the specific moderators too but I have a question for the wording of “reason”

Is it acceptable to simply put for “deer stalking/vermin control and zeroing/target practice” ?

Next up, “where do you intend to use it (giving name and number of occupier)”

I have various letters including the boundary maps etc for various different permissions.
Some are for deer stalking from the holders of the stalking rights, and some are for fox control & come from the estate's land manager/agents.

I will have to list these separately on an accompanying letter (not enough space on the form) ,
but, should I also add in “ on any other land where permission has been obtained”, to cover me for later on (..if I’m successfully granted an FAC that is..) as I have been given some verbal offers of days out stalking elsewhere and for assisting with vermin control elsewhere too.

I fully expect to go through this with the FEO interview regarding the nuts and bolts but I'm basically loking for a heads up to get my hoose in order before submittal and you guys "ken yir stuff." when it comes to this.

Thanks for reading!!

Cheers

Rigboot

Is it acceptable to simply put for “deer stalking/vermin control and zeroing/target practice” ?

Yes, that's fine, although I would leave off the 'target practice' bit and just put 'zeroing on ranges'. As soon as you mention 'target' they might start asking you if you intend to use it for target shooting with a club, where is your membership etc etc.

I will have to list these separately on an accompanying letter (not enough space on the form) , but, should I also add in “ on any other land where permission has been obtained”, to cover me for later on (..if I’m successfully granted an FAC that is..) as I have been given some verbal offers of days out stalking elsewhere and for assisting with vermin control elsewhere too.

Generally you just put your 'main' ground on the application form (that is all there is room for anyway) and then submit letters for all the ground attached. It depends on your police force really - Avon and Somerset have a dedicated, separate form to submit land on, but you still list your main on on the application.

For example, if you have one permission that covers all the species you are asking for, put that one on the application form, then attach all the letters with your application.

Regarding "and any other land where permission has been granted" - what you are effectively asking for here is a less restrictive (or 'open') certificate. I.e. you can shoot anywhere you deem safe so long as you have permission. Unless you are in Scotland I don't fancy your chances of getting this on a first application, but if you can justify it well then you may do!

The land won't be listed on your certificate either way, all they will do is check that each patch is safe for the calibre you are asking for. When they issue the certificate it will most likely say something like "rifle xxx for deer stalking, fox and vermin control and for zeroing on ranges, on land deemed suitable by the Chief Officer of Police for the area where the land is situated and over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot."

The red bit is the bit that will be removed if you successfully argue for an 'open' certificate.

Alex

Alex, he's north of the border - hopefully they will give him an open cert from the off.

I'd advise just putting down 'Deer and any other lawful quarry plus zeroing' from the off by bracketing all the rifles together - that should give them the opportunity to give him the one simple all encompassing condition, leaving decisions about suitability and legality up to the FAC holder.

Ditto for the land - on the application form bracket the rifles together and just put 'over land and on ranges where I have authority to shoot'. Then put the full details of the main piece of land on the supplimentary form.

Agree about the listing of only the main piece of land - the others are then available if they need to see them.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for taking the time to reply gents,

Very helpful and at least now I can start the forms with a bit of confidence.

It's Strathclyde Police who are the issuing force so I'm unsure as to the immediate "open cert" grant but hopfully having the DSC1 with various permissions/land and if I include for paid stalking etc then maybe it wil go through.

Who knows, to be honest I've got enough land to be getting on with anyway but an open cert would be great for the invites I have too.

Thanks again

Rigboot

RB,

Alex (CSL) might be able to shed some light on Strathclyde's attitude to issuing open certs as he has access to the poll results. From previous threads it seems that most, if not all forces on the sensible side of Hadrians Wall are more realistic in their attitude to firearms and FAC holders. An almighty shame that we can't see it reflected in the rest of the country.

Of the seven respondees in Strathclyde police force area all say their certificates were open from the start, two having held a certificate in the 1-3 years bracket, so fairly recent.

looks hopeful! :D

That's great feedback from the Poll csl, also great info for other prospective FAC applicants in the other various areas/police departments

Many thanks for that.

Fingers crossed :D

Rigboot

Rigboot

Both my sons got open tickets from the off. One in Strathclyde and one in Grampian.

I am also Strathclyde and have only ever found them helpful if a little cautious in the amounts of ammo they let you have first time round. Recently i managed a one to one variation straight over the counter after first making a phone call.

The ladies that run the department are knowledgeable and helpful and it pays well to maintain a good attitude with them if phoning or taking applications in person which is my way of doing it.

Good luck with your endeavours
Redneck

Back