7mm08 ammunition availability south east

adjman

I am thinking about that most difficult decision of which calibre to go for and thinking that 7mm08 would suit me quite well and seems to be a well respected round for dealing with most deer in the UK. Having read the multitude of opinions on the "What's the best calibre" threads, these seem to point to it as perfectly suitable.

My main question would be what is the availability of ammunition for 7mm08 rifles in the south east? I live in West Sussex and would appreciate advice on availability or otherwise of 7mm08 ammo as it could be an important deciding factor on the final choice of rifle.

Check with F.A Anderson of East Grinstead... 01342-325604

They should have some in stock. I will surprised if they don't. Phil (the boss) or John will help you if they can.

It would appear the ammunition is easier to obtain than the rifle itself!
I was intent on adding a TIKKA T3 stainless laminate to my cabinet in 7mm-08rem, that was until GMK told me it would take at least 6 months to get one (and the same with my second choice of .30-06spr) so I'm going back to the good ole' .308win

I am thinking about that most difficult decision of which calibre to go for and thinking that 7mm08 would suit me quite well and seems to be a well respected round for dealing with most deer in the UK. Having read the multitude of opinions on the "What's the best calibre" threads, these seem to point to it as perfectly suitable.

My main question would be what is the availability of ammunition for 7mm08 rifles in the south east? I live in West Sussex and would appreciate advice on availability or otherwise of 7mm08 ammo as it could be an important deciding factor on the final choice of rifle.

I see you are at Duncton, Raker's probably won't have any in stock, but they will order for you and keep it stored if necessary. They do that for Estate Rifles for certain.

Give them a call ? usually quite helpful.

Contact Raker

ATB

Don't worry about 7mm-08 ammo, there's plenty about. Just order it in advance and you'll probably get a good deal if you buy 200 at once.
To re-confirm earlier posts, 140gr Federal Fusion has proven to be probably the best I've used, for accuracy, knock down and fairly minimal meat damage (depending where you hit them). Not only on the bigger species of Fallow and Red but Roe down in W.Sussex not 5 miles from Raker.
Next which is again pretty good, Federal 150gr Hot-Core, a little slower (not a bad thing at all) but very effective.
What I would avoid is Remington 140gr Ballistic Tips, terrible. Although their Core-Lokt isn't too bad.
I've used and owned quite a few calibers and the 7mm-08 is definitely amongst the best for the UK and even more popular abroad - but I'll let you find that out, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Good luck!

I see you are at Duncton, Raker's probably won't have any in stock, but they will order for you and keep it stored if necessary. They do that for Estate Rifles for certain.

Give them a call ? usually quite helpful.

Contact Raker

ATB

BTW - If you are in no great hurry, I am over at Midhurst, and have access to a private 100/150 metre Range locally. I have a 7-08 sort of Sako 75, which I reload for. I shall be away working until nearly mid December but you would be most welcome to have a try with it , provided you have Insurance, BASC , BDS or similar. Or alternatively on your ground if its OK for the calibre. PM me if interested.

Cheers folks, all good to know - probably looking at end of next year for getting the rifle so I have time to get some stalking under my belt and get the DSC1 done in readiness.

Tikka, very kind offer - PM sent :)

Back