Fox from high seat

ksb

I was out early after a fallow yesterday. It was a lovely fresh morning and I took my sons young Gwp out with me for company. Nothing was happening on the deer front and I was starting to doze off when a fox appeared about 80m from the seat. It was a welcome break from the boredom.
9288B766-DB7D-4C4E-A7A8-E4A44F2F7AFC-727-000001203F985DA5_zpsfb59397c.jpg

Sitting in a high seat just outside Perth about ten years ago waiting for a Roe buck when a fox appeared from behind a bush about 10yds away so I shot it between the eyes with 180grn out of a 30-06 it just lay there steaming.
I had been on the hills the previous day shooting stags

I use several high seats on the estate for foxing in the summer.It gives the advantage of getting a better view over the summer vegetation.
A friend of mine is a keen sea fisherman and is quite happy to give me bags of fish guts which work a treat. A couple of days baiting a spot usually pays off.

i only shoot a few deer each season but for some reason i still get a real buzz when i comes to shooting foxes, wither lamping or calling during the day, the heart always races a little when an identification has been made and the shot is on.

i only shoot a few deer each season but for some reason i still get a real buzz when i comes to shooting foxes, wither lamping or calling during the day, the heart always races a little when an identification has been made and the shot is on.

I know that feeling too - and, like you, I rarely get it for deer. Don't know why...

Hi Paddy that would be about 51 weeks of the year over this way, the rain has been serious this year. farmers are talking about grass shortages as they had cattle housed for longer at the start of the year due to the cold and the grass not growing, cattle are back in again because of the wet ground. On a plus side farmers that were on the fence about granting permission for deer will now be more approachable due to the grass and crops the deer feed on.

Hi Paddy that would be about 51 weeks of the year over this way, the rain has been serious this year. farmers are talking about grass shortages as they had cattle housed for longer at the start of the year due to the cold and the grass not growing, cattle are back in again because of the wet ground.

Yep - that all sounds horribly familiar over here too...:(

Back