Nightingales

User00025

Haven't heard one yet but should be here in next couple of weeks. I am fortunate to know of a couple of places where I can still sit towards dusk,watching deer and listening to one of the most haunting Spring bird songs. unfortunately they seem to be somewhat in decline.

I finally accepted that my hearing was badly damaged when an old friend of mine came to stay and, as we walked up to my garden one evening, he said how fantastic it was that he could hear a Nightingale. First one he had heard in years. He stood there listening for ages, I couldn't hear a thing.

I may hate sound moderators but not as much as I hate hearing aids!

I think a Nightingale has the most evocative song of all, it takes me back to when I was in the scouts on a May Bank Holiday camp. We used to pitch the tents (proper tents made out of heavy canvas and wooden poles) next to a small wood full of Wild Garlic and the Nightingales seemed to be everywhere.

Moving forward a few years :rolleyes: I have a small permission for Roe about 30 minutes from the main estate I manage and every year so far I have been serenaded by two Nightingales which seem to compete for space between two small woods overlooking a shallow valley. Last year on one morning whilst sitting with a client we had two Cuckoos and the two Nightingales singing in the same place, along with Blackcaps, Wrens, Blackbirds and warblers.

Priceless you couldn't have a better morning stalking in such a wonderful place.

I think a Nightingale has the most evocative song of all, it takes me back to when I was in the scouts on a May Bank Holiday camp. We used to pitch the tents (proper tents made out of heavy canvas and wooden poles) next to a small wood full of Wild Garlic and the Nightingales seemed to be everywhere.

Moving forward a few years :rolleyes: I have a small permission for Roe about 30 minutes from the main estate I manage and every year so far I have been serenaded by two Nightingales which seem to compete for space between two small woods overlooking a shallow valley. Last year on one morning whilst sitting with a client we had two Cuckoos and the two Nightingales singing in the same place, along with Blackcaps, Wrens, Blackbirds and warblers.

Priceless you couldn't have a better morning stalking in such a wonderful place.

+5 My friend, if I were able I would make a nightingale the last sound I heard before leaving this world. Many times heard but only been seen a few of those times.
It really makes you think what a wonderful world mankind are successfully ruining as they and other song birds go into decline.

Back