Deer Food?

corrie

Evening all, we have roe deer on a site where i do voluntary work which is a dense woodland site, i want to put some food out for the deer but not quite sure what would suitable for them? i was thinking of possibly putting down molasses, salt licks and apples from a small orchard we have on site and putting it near to where i have seen the deer regularly what do you recon? i welcome your thoughts on this.

Cheers

Corrie :D

I guess it depends on what your intentions are for this feeding, what do you hope to achieve?

My intensions are to keep them interested with a food source to keep them on the site as this is the second season we have had them on the site, i have been a volunteer there for approx twelve years and up until last season never seen them there, plus i am new to the stalking hence why im not too sure, would this be a normal thing to do or is it something best left alone for them to feed naturally?

cheers

Who owns the woodland? The owner of the woodland is unlikely to be in favour of you actively encouraging deer.
Have you considered the amount of damage the inflated numbers will do to the environment?

A pheasant feeder with wheat always seems to be attractive to them in late winter / early spring.

tyr putting a big sign up saying free deer feed with a big arrow pointing down.. that worked in road runner . . only dif was sign said free bird seed

tyr putting a big sign up saying free deer feed with a big arrow pointing down.. that worked in road runner . . only dif was sign said free bird seed

RoadRunner-1.jpg

If you want to attract deer , plant highly scented rose bushes if you enclose the bush in chicken wire they can only eat the shoots that are protruding as the bush grows and is a constant supply of natural attracting food source

Warning though your land owner wont be pleased but that depends on him, encouraging deer to land has its problems not least a possible source of T.B and foot and mouth which may infect his cattle and its not all about crops being attacked by more deer

Last edited:
If you live near apple growers orchards try to get the mush that is left over from juice/cider production.
Fill up some of those blue plastic 50 litre barrels and close the lids tightly then let it ferment. Draws them like s**t to the bed covers, use a dog bowl sized portion every 2-3 days.
Works on boar too.
Martin

ha ha i always thought these 19 years shooting together you fell out of tree & hit every branch on way down :doh:
I will have you know i went to Rutherford passed my 11 plus i did but accidently fell out of an aircraft forgot my shute and hit the ground rather hard.

Back