drone users, have a look at my battery pack in a stock job.

bobjs

View attachment 62768View attachment 62769View attachment 62770View attachment 62771View attachment 62772View attachment 62773View attachment 62774View attachment 62775View attachment 62776

Hi Fellow drone users,

I took the chance to install my battery pack into a old synth stock of my new 20 tac tikka 595 built by the master Mr Neal Mckillop.

hollowed out the stock of its foam filler and replaced it with a 12 volt NMH battery, run the power/charging cable to the pistol grip and into then out of a voltage regulator, I then drilled down the left side of the stock from the top to the base to be able to bring the cable/power to the drone,

I then drilled and fitted a socket to the left side of the stock so that I could run the cable to the drone, I covered the socket to keep out all dead things, I also fitted a charging plug in the base of the pistol grip to recharge the battery from the car of at home in the cabinet, I had to install the socket at a angle as I almost hit the circuit board underneath :( and that would have been pants, the regulator is set at 6.4 volts out to keep the drone running even in very cold weather, as you can see the rear of the stock is back in place and this retains the battery from flopping about,

the power cable from the socket on the side of the stock is a tad long it will be trimmed tomorrow night after I have done a complete trial run in the field, I have also cut down the rather long Binder plug used on the drones input and this keeps the streamlined effect and prevents mishaps and cable snagging,

I loved doing the project and it took me a few nights over a 2 week time period, that was because I was over in Akrotiri Cyprus for a couple of those weeks.

enjoy.

bob.

I've been contemplating something similar.
Any reason for using NiMh rather than Lithium Ion/LiPo?

I've been contemplating something similar.
Any reason for using NiMh rather than Lithium Ion/LiPo?

hi Simon

it was all I could get to fit with ltd weight and the cost was not to bad.

if I could find a better smaller battery I would be happy to change it, the circuit board must have at minimum voltage of 12 volts in to give you a stable 6 volts out, as I was thinking of a RC car battery or one of those type but with them being only 7.3 volts they would not drive the dropper hard enough to give out a stable voltage, I have about 6 of the circuit boards left as I have built a few other battery packs for mates with drones and all have gone the 12 volt route,

just wish I could find a good compact 12 volt battery with charger that I could use on my next stock.

bob.

That's a great idea. I use a home made NV add on, and I've had to re-hash it a couple of times to cut down on clutter, but that's the best solution I've seen. Tidy work.

nice
was doing something similar on a lamp until I ditched the large battery

nicer touch with the recharge socket

Hi mty hope you well on the way to recovery That's real nice work Bob you should offer to do the job on others stocks and it may just be a good side line for them cold nights.
amvb
Paul :tiphat:

1,The mount is a custom made mount by Neil Mckillop and is spot on for both eye relief and height, the wever rail makes the scope very high and I disliked the mount fitted to the drone as it seems armasight make them for black tactical rifles?

2,The battery remains cold with no charging heat generated at all, the battery has powered the kit tonight from 1900 until now none stop,

The custom mount has adjustable positions and this is where it's right for me with no discomfort at all with head position, in fact when i zeroed it the reticle reading was +3 and + 10. So it shows how central the mount is, well this is now my dedicated nv rig with the spare 20 tac possibly going up for sale, but that is not confirmed as yet, as I am looking at a rifle for longer range work and a bit of stalking on the big boys.

I am thinking of how much money it cost to get the weaver rail and oddments I needed to get for the sako so that I could use the drone on it, I think the £140 spent on Neil's mount for the tikka actions was well worth

For me this is job is now done and dusted,;) until I find something else I fancy a crack at. maybe a home made Stainless media tumbler. or a brass case annealing machine.

Bob.

Last edited:
Back