Flying from Luton with a rifle

Rols

I'm flying from Luton next Thursday to Germany. I've booked my rifle in as a Sporting firearm do I just need to put my ammo in with my luggage in a lockable box? Or does it need to be booked in separately? And is there any need to ring Easyjet prior to arriving at the airport?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Last edited:
I'm flying from Luton next Thursday to Germany. I've booked my rifle in as a Sporting firearm do I just need to put my ammo in with my luggage in a lockable box? Or does it need to be booked in separately? And is there any need to ring Easyjet prior to arriving at the airport?

Thanks in advance

Rich

Rich, don't know the exact policy with Easyjet but all the airlines appear to have slightly different policies, which can also vary from country to country.

I'm just back from Ireland with Aer Lingus and they required the ammo in a separate lockable metal or wooden box which can travel apart from the rifle case. Probably the safest option and you should have no hassles with the checkin staff (who appear to have no idea most of the time)

Last year BA let me put my boxed ammo in my rifle case, which I've been told is normally a no no. Ammo must be in the cardboard box you purchased it in. They don't like loose shells. Some airlines allow you to put your secure ammo box in your checked in luggage. Usually a 5kg max weight on ammo.

don't forget your FAC and EFP if traveling within Europe.

Some countries require that you have a firearms permit to import your rifle so make sure you check in advance of travel

Best of luck

Cheers
50/50

I have flown with Easyjet from Luton to Berlin quite recently.
When I booked my flight there was a dropdown menu for sporting rifles, they have to be listed and a charge of £25 each way is made.
The ammunition has to be in a secure container and packed inside your hold luggage. I use a small, red, tin, money box that holds 40 rounds, four plastic inserts from the cardboard cartridge box and find that is plenty.
As for contacting Easyjet before you arrive, there is no need as the sporting rifle is/should be printed on your check in sheet that you have showing your flight No and flight details. They already have a copy of that on their screen when you check in.

Thanks guys for the info, all as I thought but I haven't flown from Luton before so best to check!

Double check your FAC has the correct serial number for the rifle you are taking. It's something I had never checked before assuming they would get it right. A friend and member on here I was flying with from Luton had his rifle impounded by the airport police because his licensing department had the last digit of his rifle's number down incorrectly. On his return to the UK he had to go to the Luton central police station to recover it.

Double check your FAC has the correct serial number for the rifle you are taking. It's something I had never checked before assuming they would get it right. A friend and member on here I was flying with from Luton had his rifle impounded by the airport police because his licensing department had the last digit of his rifle's number down incorrectly. On his return to the UK he had to go to the Luton central police station to recover it.

Already checked that and all in order, although my 9.3x62 is shown as a barrel on my FAC & EP as it's part of my Mauser m03 6.5 / 9.3 switch barrel set up I'm only taking the 9.3 don't know if that might confuse anybody during the checks as I'm travelling with a rifle that according to my permits is a barrel!

Back