Bipod or not ??

cumbrian

How many people like me zero the rifle prone using the bipod, then go woodland stalking and very rarely use the bipod at all ?? I am toying with the idea of removing mine prior to a few on the sika next month.
Brian

How many people like me zero the rifle prone using the bipod, then go woodland stalking and very rarely use the bipod at all ?? I am toying with the idea of removing mine prior to a few on the sika next month.
Brian

About a year ago I stopped using my bipod (well stopped putting it on as I never seemed to be using it, lol).
i now zero from bags.

As all my shots are taken from sticks when stalking roe in woodland I do not have the bipod attached however when out on the open hill after reds I put the bipod on.

Mulac

Just to throw a curve ball. I bought an Eberlestock Pack Mounted Rest that I have only used so far at the range but with good effect. Its lightweight and not too pricey when bought direct. It has attachments for mounting on any backpack with MOLLE strips. I am considering using it instead of a bipod.

As all my shots are taken from sticks when stalking roe in woodland I do not have the bipod attached however when out on the open hill after reds I put the bipod on.

Mulac

Thought about that but I am wary of the zero altering when putting the bipod back on ?? Does the zero alter on yours with it on and off ??
Thanks

I have a bipod too, an new quad pod, GRS stock and mag conversion kit and I haven't had a buck all season! I'd have given up by now if I didn't enjoy just being out

I have two rifles. One with a bipod and one without. Last two outings I have had a muntjac of the dipod at 190m and a roe buck at 60m off sticks with the none dipod equipped rifle.

I used to have a bipod fitted all the time when stalking until I spent an afternoon on the range with Ian Farrington (IanF on SD). He suggested that I removed the bipod and got more used to using sticks in a number of different positions, even prone! This has proved to be sound advice and I no longer use the bipod except for zeroing on the range.

atb Tim

Do it!

I started with bipods and sound moderators, although I still have them in the cabinet I no longer use them. Gone naked, so to speak.

Brian

Took the bi-pod off a good while ago....I zero off my quad sticks as that is what I use all bar a little time in my high seats.
I feel it is a lot safer off my sticks as I can see far more than lying down, also I have built in any discrepancy's into my shooting off them.

Tim.243

Now stopped using a bipod whilst foxing on the back of a mule just use a bag. Far less clattering about and no jarring to the rifle and scope going over uneven ground. One hand gently pressing down on the rifle keeps it secure. Cannot now be bothered with it now for stalking as it just adds more weight and I use quad sticks anyway. As said earlier these can be beneficial at all heights. However the bipod is still useful for zeroing using a bag under the butt to adjust the elevation. Would I buy another? No, just more crap to carry around but I suppose that is down to the fact that I mainly only do woodland stalking and only like lying down in bed.:D

Last edited:
No bipod anymore; I never liked carrying a rifle with them & found them ugly on traditional rifles, but more importantly I find that groups were bigger with them as opposed to a set sling & roe sack/back pack. As I almost never shoot deer prone I have a set sling for prone if required & sticks for sitting or standing. There has been a lot of experimentation to find techniques that shoot to the same zero from different positions.

Thought about that but I am wary of the zero altering when putting the bipod back on ?? Does the zero alter on yours with it on and off ??
Thanks

On my rifles the zero is not affected by the removal of the bipod. I'm not an expert but on a free floating barrel there should be no change to the harmonics when removing the bipod from the forend.

Mulac

Always used to use a long bipod for hill stalking or sitting out. Now mainly woodland and arable ground so use sticks for sitting or kneeling and a catapult hazel fork about 9" high for prone,packs away easily. Never have been able to use sticks 1,2 or 3 whilst standing, and having a break barrel I prefer off a tree if I can't get prone.

I don't have bipods on my rifles, I shoot from either sticks, high seats or prone when on the hill. I found bipods cumbersome especially in woodland, so have not used them for years.
For zeroing I use an MTM rifle rest.

ATB 243 Stalker.

Are you men or mice? 4/500g extra weight on your back matters?

I've tried with and tried without. My view tends to be it's better there. I've missed shots faffing about trying to get a steady rest on a roe sack.

I have different sized ones and fit them depending on the task.

The only rifles I run without are rimfires when using them for shooting out of the car - I have even taken the slings off.

Me, I always have the bipod on and use mainly on the hill but alway carry sticks for low ground work as half of the shots taken require them.

Out of interest has anyone ever used one of these:

Allen Sling

media.nl

or anything similar.

Typically they're only $20 in the States which would make it worth getting one just to see but I don't think I'll splash nearly 40 quid to find it's no good.

Does it weigh much? No. Does it interfere with shooting off sticks? No. Will you miss it when you need it? Yes. Decision made. :)

Zero with bags; learn to shoot with the bipod/sticks.

I headed out on sat evening with no bipod & no sticks - it was a liberating experience. Knife, binos, and gun, its all a body needs. I'm considering zeroing with the mod off & leaving it in the cabinet next time as well.

Back