Boar Calibres

User00026

Seems opinions vary greatly on what is a sensible boar calibre for traditional european style shooting.

Some are very capable of taking clean 1 shot kills with .270, 7x57, etc(similar sizes).

Some feel you need at least a 30 mag or ideally a 9.3 or .375H

I have even read thoughts of 404J on boar.

Is there a general trend perhaps to overgun on boar a bit, yes, it can't be 'too' dead..but too much gun isn't going to give you any benefits in the quality of your shooting due to tiredness in shoulder and arms and/or fear of recoil.

Not looking to stir things up, but would genuinely like to hear peoples thoughts and experiences, especially since the military calibre ban being lifted in France and boar hunters starting to significantly downsize their calibres..that to me begs to be explored a bit further, especially when you look at how effective a .270 with a 150g bullet or a 7x57 with a 175g bullet can be,,then why bother with big heavy hitters if performance isn't really superior/ammo costs/etc.

I have used a .308 for years with success. However there is more margin for error with the bigger 9.3s on the driven stuff in my opinion.

David, I agree with you, it's a lovely calibre. I am putting one together as we speak on a beautiful persian (VZ24) 98 action. I have only a couple of issues with Otto's rifle is that it's a touch more than needed for roe, when you leave the woods and continue onto the hill for reds it's leaving itself a bit short for 200+yd shots if needed, same with PG, and for buff it's probably far from the knockdown effect of a 600 Nitro Express. So it's a beautiful calibre, but a bit of a jack of all trades master of none (apart from boar) LOL.

This one will have a ghost ring and front ramp only, no scope, but it will be a close range woods rifle nothing else.

There's a lot to be said for 30.06 - very versatile and doesn't leave you wanting IMO although I know of a couple of guys considering .375H&H at the moment although they need definite Boar permission to satisfy the Beak (Wiltshire) - no such issues with 30.06 :thumb:

Last edited:
I've never shot a Boar to be fair but I believe it depends on what type of boar you intend to shoot as some boar are considerably bigger than other boar depending if your in the UK or Europe etc

a .308 or 3006 will be relatively easy to add to a cert for boar ( and would probably cover most sizes ) but if you want a bigger cal such as .375 H&H ( and who doesn't ) you would probably have to fight your case that you need one for bigger boar in Europe etc

6.5x55 with 156gr ammo will do the job nicely. I'd rather use the same rifle for everything than grab something that's used maybe once a year, and have no muscle memory for the safety catch and trigger pull with 200kg of p*ssed off pig coming at me!

6.5x55 with 156gr ammo will do the job nicely. I'd rather use the same rifle for everything than grab something that's used maybe once a year, and have no muscle memory for the safety catch and trigger pull with 200kg of p*ssed off pig coming at me!

There's a lot of truth in the above. To my way of thinking its more important that you are 100% familliar with your rifle. I've never been of the opinion that a larger calibre makes up for bad shot placement. I've also never understood why anyone would book a driven game trip and not put in a fair bit of practice before they went. With any type of driven game its all about shot placement. There are very few people if any who are natural shots. Plenty though who watch young Franz and think they are as good though.

Gentlemen,

I use a 8x68s, with a 195gr SP. Spectacular performance on driven boar and more than good enough for moving away from the Boar front to the hill or even African game it has proven it self to be a very capable combination. Very moderate recoil more of a push than a kick.

Regards

JS

Is there a general trend perhaps to overgun on boar a bit
to be honest there is a trend to overgun on everything (I think it makes up for lack of size in their "Johnson").

Im comfortable with my 243 for everything from Foxes to Roe Doe and Boar to Stags, its what you do with it that counts.

I must admit though, my Estate rifle is a .270, this was purchased to comply with Night Authorisation shooting when it was a requirement.

i do understand that the bigger calibres have more stopping power incase you drop it in the wrong place and people get comfort from this.

i also understand that a Volvo is a safe car but I don't buy one just incase I crash.

Last edited:
Never shot a boar yet but had a couple of nights with solwaystalker and he recons my 308 is fine and he recomends a head shot just behind the ear, so thats what i will go with

Cheers
Ray

Boar are not as bulletproof as is sometimes made out in my experience.

i think some of it comes from the fact that they are shot on driven hunts and so shot placement can be variable. This probably is what influences the bigger is better crowd. i think this is reasonable but note that in my experience it is penetration that anchors boar, through breaking bone or hitting the CNS, and any stoutly constructed bullet of SD of around .27 and up from a reasonable cartridge of say 6.5mm and 8mm is more than capable shooting right through a boar on any reasonable angle.

The 30'06 class of cartridges begin to run out of steam on only really heavy game, say 700kgs and up. They are more than capable on anything is Europe.

If it's charging i'd like a double 9.3x72r please. :D

This.
Refreshing to read some sensible answers to this old chestnut.

to be honest there is a trend to overgun on everything (I think it makes up for lack of size in their "Johnson").

Im comfortable with my 243 for everything from Foxes to Roe Doe and Boar to Stags, its what you do with it that counts.

I must admit though, my Estate rifle is a .270, this was purchased to comply with Night Authorisation shooting when it was a requirement.

i do understand that the bigger calibres have more stopping power incase you drop it in the wrong place and people get comfort from this.

i also understand that a Volvo is a safe car but I don't buy one just incase I crash.

Dan

Or is because people want to use the right bullet / bullet weight combination for the job in hand. I would very much doubt you would use a .243 to shoot on a driven wild boar hunt or to follow up an injured wild boar from a static hide.

Maybe Something you should consider is having the right tool for the job in hand.

Just because use you can use a spanner to undo a nut does not mean you can't use a socket set instead

I have never felt under gunned using a 243 on british deer using the correct amou and I have plenty of bigger calibers and as above used 270,7mm etc because the law stated I must.
However I still use bigger caliber guns, but in foreign climes anmd would not dream of shooting a boar or eland with a 243!.
At the end of the day its horses for courses and you have to be comfortable with your choice.

Dan

Or is because people want to use the right bullet / bullet weight combination for the job in hand. I would very much doubt you would use a .243 to shoot on a driven wild boar hunt or to follow up an injured wild boar from a static hide.

Maybe Something you should consider is having the right tool for the job in hand.

Just because use you can use a spanner to undo a nut does not mean you can't use a socket set instead
The OP asked for thoughts and experience and having shot boar (and several thousand deer) and having been involved with other boar hunting (albeit not driven) I gave him what he asked for, thoughts and experience. I've followed up boar that have bolted in to thicket after shooting, never did I think the rifle over my shoulder wasn't big enough to follow up.

I used a 7mm08 with 175 grain sp and they worked well in Portugal last year, I will be taking it again this year. All the Portuguese that I shot with and who shoot boar regular use the 300 win mag.

Back