BASC - Now and the Future

kes

Has anyone any up-to-date info on where the solution to BASC's internal problems, investigations etc ? I have heard nothing for a while but note one member of staff 'under investigation' seems to be less than perturbed. I am renewing shooting org membership soon and would like to know if BASC is a contender. No wish to air info in public so if anyone has anything reliable, please PM me.
Thanks

I've mine due mid-September. It is long overdue, leading to gross hypothecation, on this Forum and in the press, that BASC put out a clear, plain, unequivocal statement...at least to its members...about this. Indeed I may well when back from France write demanding this before I re-new. If nothing happened then they should say so. The story is becoming a diversion from the role BASC plays and the confidence its members have in it especially following on from the Swift Lead Ammunition Group debacle. This is not good enough!

Has anyone any up-to-date info on where the solution to BASC's internal problems, investigations etc ? I have heard nothing for a while but note one member of staff 'under investigation' seems to be less than perturbed. I am renewing shooting org membership soon and would like to know if BASC is a contender. No wish to air info in public so if anyone has anything reliable, please PM me.
Thanks

Hi Kes,
I have spoken with someone impartial who was there at the time, and also I know one of the council members who resigned over it.
Like you, I can't see any benefit in broadcasting the info at this stage, but I'll drop you a PM at some point. Probably tomorrow. Been in a meeting all day today, so just chilling out now.

Hi Kes,
I have spoken with someone impartial who was there at the time, and also I know one of the council members who resigned over it.
Like you, I can't see any benefit in broadcasting the info at this stage, but I'll drop you a PM at some point. Probably tomorrow. Been in a meeting all day today, so just chilling out now.

Thanks VSS - appreciated.

In my considered view the BASC statement is unhelpful (as well as being old news), time has moved on without further update and all I can say is that some sensible update would be useful.
The cost of consultants, any dismissals via compromise agreements etc will cost dear and enthusiasm for cutting out the rot seems to be diminishing. I think we deserve more.

Hello Tim, if Kes isn't a member, and I thought he wasn't, should you be sending information of this sort to him? If he is not a member it may not be his business.

David.

Hello Tim, if Kes isn't a member, and I thought he wasn't, should you be sending information of this sort to him? If he is not a member it may not be his business.

David.

Or, it doesn't matter who knows what because
A/ there is nothing wrong at all within BASC headquarters, or
B/ It's all gone pear shaped and BASC are covering it up, in which case they can't be trusted anyway so who cares what has or may yet happen.

Neil.

In the long term I agree Neil, but if there are legal procedures being carried out it does. Also if someone tells you something in confidence that is just what it means. Sorry if that makes me sound old fashioned and boring.

David.

In the long term I agree Neil, but if there are legal procedures being carried out it does. Also if someone tells you something in confidence that is just what it means. Sorry if that makes me sound old fashioned and boring.

David.

Don't worry David. I take care not to pass on any info that may compromise anyone's position. However, I do think it's appropriate to dispel some of the myths that are circulating if I get a suitable opportunity to do so (e.g. my pm to kes).

I do think it's appropriate to dispel some of the myths that are circulating if I get a suitable opportunity to do so.
As do I, and as a paying member it would be nice to be informed, especially as I assume all the external consultancy fees are being covered by membership funds. BASC may not be able to legally say what has happened, how about telling us what HASN'T happened.

As do I, and as a paying member it would be nice to be informed, especially as I assume all the external consultancy fees are being covered by membership funds. BASC may not be able to legally say what has happened, how about telling us what HASN'T happened.
+1 as well

VSS,

Would it be possible to copy me in please? I am in the same position as Kes (ie need to think about renewing my BASC membership) and it would be greatly appreciated if there was anything you might wish to provide that might help with context, as I find the BASC official statement unhelpful at best. I am willing to give benefit of doubt but won't be renewing my membership unless it was possible for a little light to be shone on recent events and outcomes. Your insight would no doubt provide some useful context. I don't like to deal in urban myth or gossip, so anything that could dispel some of the rumour mongering would be welcome.

Last edited:
You may or may not have seen our letter to the Times who reported on this last week here it is:

Sir,
Your readers can be reassured that The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) is not in “chaos” (The Times: Tuesday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] August ).
Membership is growing, with a retention rate of more than 92 per cent. The association is ahead of budget and due to make a surplus. Staff morale is high and work continues apace. For example, BASC recently provided coaching to allow more than 7,000 scouts and guides to try shooting, most for the first time.

The association is conducting an independent inquiry into the matters your report covers. To protect employment rights and allow due process to be followed, we cannot comment further at this time.

Christopher Graffius,
Acting Chief Executive.

You may or may not have seen our letter to the Times who reported on this last week here it is:

Sir,
Your readers can be reassured that The British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) is not in “chaos” (The Times: Tuesday 30[SUP]th[/SUP] August ).
Membership is growing, with a retention rate of more than 92 per cent. The association is ahead of budget and due to make a surplus. Staff morale is high and work continues apace. For example, BASC recently provided coaching to allow more than 7,000 scouts and guides to try shooting, most for the first time.

The association is conducting an independent inquiry into the matters your report covers. To protect employment rights and allow due process to be followed, we cannot comment further at this time.

Christopher Graffius,
Acting Chief Executive.

Fine as a public statement but I believe the membership, who are the reason BASC exists and who will be the people who ultimately decide whether BASC continues to exist, deserve more.

I cannot comment over and above what's been said in the press release i.e. To protect employment rights and allow due process to be followed, we cannot comment further at this time.

Back