Feeding a young Vizla

Hurf

I've just rehommed a year old vizla bitch and was wondering what the best food to feed her with. The dry complete dog foods seem to go through her very quickly and struggles to put any weight on (but she is still quite young) I have heard of wheat intolerence in this breed has anyone heard of this or can suggest the best food to use it would be much appreciated. We've kept dogs all our lives but this is the first HPR type that we've had

I've just rehommed a year old vizla bitch and was wondering what the best food to feed her with. The dry complete dog foods seem to go through her very quickly and struggles to put any weight on (but she is still quite young) I have heard of wheat intolerence in this breed has anyone heard of this or can suggest the best food to use it would be much appreciated. We've kept dogs all our lives but this is the first HPR type that we've had

im assuming you dnt know the pups diet before you rehomed her, then it very much a case of trial and error, although i would recommend WILSONS MEAL, not a trendy name , but ive found it very good and they where first toobring an all in one meal on market many yrs ago, bear in mind how how anxious/stressed the dog is being rehomed, new enviorment,new owners, only natural it be upset once settled in,and more content im sure she be fine at that most hprs go through a gangly stage, good luck

Thanks for that inverwire. She was on a home brand complete dry mix with meat before . The meat was added as she wouldn't eat the dry food on its own (or so I was told). She's on a very similar brand to start with and we'll gradually change over to a better quality/more meet feed. She's settled in very well and not got diahorrea she just produces alot and often from these cereal based feeds.

Hi,
I have a Vizsla the same age and I have had enough of feeding her the same stuff my other dogs were on. I am trying an experiment at the moment to see if I can find a food that suits. Over a month ago I tried Skinners salmon and rice, no good. Then I tried skinners hypo allergenic duck and rice, no good.

I have been in touch with a great company I used years ago http://www.csjk9.com/ I have just trialled there Herbie Rings for 2 weeks on her and they were better and my other dogs love them but still not perfect.

Yesterday I switched her to CSJ lamb and rice, now its early days but she seems to have firmed up a bit, but I have another 13 days of the trial to go so will let you know.

If all else fails I will get and allergy blood test done and narrow it down. I know a raw diet works but my supply of raw is a bit unreliable.

Ian

Hi,I have german wirehaired pointers and have a bitch which is like yours,the more you put in the more you get out with no weight going on.The only way i can keep her in good shape is on a raw meat diet.I get mine from landywoods if I have to buy it.Regards Dean

Wheat intolerence

thanks for all that. Have any of you heard or come accross a wheat intolerence in a dog out of interest

Arthur my wirehaired vis used to be like your pup.Too much protein and his guts became liquid.he now has Countrywide maintenance and raw meat on a 50;50 base when working 75:25 base when not .High % protein above 19% is bad news.other alternative is mainly use raw meat.White meat i.e chicken will put meat on the ribs.
Arthur diet during week
Morning handfull dry
Evening 4 handfull dry large handfull meat (lights or heart) 2 whole raw chicken wings
Weekend bone raw ribs of beef or lamb to clean teeth give in morning to allow to go through otherwise kennel a mess.
Vis bowels are very efficient and more does seem to come out than goes in.
Supply water ad lib as they seem thirsty dogs.
dogs 175.jpgwww.muntjactrading.co.uk

I agree, raw feeding is the best and really bungs them up. I used to get loads of it and have a 6ft freezer for chicken and turkey carcasses but the supply is dried up. I could feed the landywoods meals but this year I loaned my bitch out to a friend to get her used to the shooting field in a very intense way by going and watching his picking up team and it would have been really impractical for him to feed raw.

The next food I am looking at is James Wellbeloved. I have noted that she is loose even on rice type foods which means she could be intolerant to the binder or other ingredient. I am thinking it could be the egg and JW foods contain no eggs. Dogs find them boring but better boring that shitty :)

Ian

my glp used to have probs with dry food and dodgy guts.now feed her on challenge,company owned by gwp breeder.just put challenge dog food in search engine.:D

i feed my 3 month old vizsla on minced chicken carcases from the petshop mixed with pro plan complete biscuits. I add fish oil with her breakfast and dorwest herbs keepers mix to her tea. shes putting weight on nicely and looking muscular with a nice coat but she does fart a fair bit.

Last edited:
had same problem with my pointer
it was down to worms
gave him a dose of advocate wormer ,and within a couple of weeks he was back into great shape

My glp gets beta puppy dry food and whatever is available meat wise at the time (venison, duck, partridge, pheasant etc)
3 times a day at the moment then a small portion of rice pudding at 8pm which knocks her for six so we all get a good night sleep.
At the moment she is routinely described as the 'WMD' in our household but has settled in well with the labs and the cocker.

I give my vizla raw lamb bones from my local supermarket and she maintains a super condition the other bonus is when she passes it all you have is chalky waste no messing around
Amberdog

my Viszla is 16 months old now and have tried everything, all the premium complete dries sold in this country, each one went straight through, raw venison with pasta worked very well, but worry about over doing it, whether you call it lucky or not, I met a lady who has the same trouble with a yorkie and she swore by a food called earls sold at aldi, lo and behold I gave it a go and have never looked back, its the chicken and veg one, no more messy kennel and condition excellent with supplements

Back