.222 + 55g

User00003

gents,

will be trying my new used toy out this weekend, .222 bsa cf2 north american. believe it's a 23.5" 12 twist barrel. I will of course reload for it, but need to buy the dies, etc.

in the meantime I have bought some sako 55g hammerheads (soft points), and was just wondering if you think they'll stabilise fine in this barrel, as I know most have posted previously about using 50g's...of course only time will tell, but I was curious if there were any thoughts on the subject out there?

also, finally, when I do reload for roe,fox, vermin, which bullet is best in the .222? speer SP's? (won't want plastic tipped)

thanks chaps.

Well the 55 Grn Sako ammunition with the Roe Buck head on the box shoots very well through my BSA Regent in .222 Rem. I also used 55 grn bullets in handloads:-

PICT0080-1.jpg

Not too bad. Five shots, Hornady 55 Grn SP over 19.0 Grn of H4198. Cases were either Sako or Lapua. Although this was safe in my rifle check the charge weight n a good manual and work up as per normal good hand loading practice.

BH,

sounds reassuring and I thank you for your input. will probably keep the sako cases for reloading and look into the hornady sp's you mention.

:tiphat:

If you can get them have a try of the PPU SP. My 222 shoots a nice tidy group with them. only changed as i wanted better expansion for fox so went to ballistic tipped.

BH,

sounds reassuring and I thank you for your input. will probably keep the sako cases for reloading and look into the hornady sp's you mention.

:tiphat:

I used Hornady because:-

A) I like Hornady bullets

B) The local shop usually has them on the shelf.

C) They were priced right.

The Sierra 55 grain bullets would also probably shoot well. I did try some but that was through the Baikal MH18 when I had that. I had used them up by the time the BSA Regent came along.

Oh yes I also found that the 55 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips shot well but I don't have any photos of the targets..................... sorry

Hi, stick to a soft nose if using on roe. The Ballistic tip variety causes too much meat damage, or at least it does in my 22/250. 1 in 12 barrel should stabilise up to about 62, 63 grain bullet...

gents,

will be trying my new used toy out this weekend, .222 bsa cf2 north american. believe it's a 23.5" 12 twist barrel. I will of course reload for it, but need to buy the dies, etc.

in the meantime I have bought some sako 55g hammerheads (soft points), and was just wondering if you think they'll stabilise fine in this barrel, as I know most have posted previously about using 50g's...of course only time will tell, but I was curious if there were any thoughts on the subject out there?

also, finally, when I do reload for roe,fox, vermin, which bullet is best in the .222? speer SP's? (won't want plastic tipped)

thanks chaps.

The Sako factory rounds should shoot excellent. When you reload for Roe 55grn Sierra Game King are excellent heads that give minimal carcass damage for Fox/vermin 55grn Hornady V Max heads will work well. Like me you may get confused as each reload data varies maximum load can be as little as 20.5grn to 21.6 grn Vihtavouri N130 powder. The .222 will perform well with most Bullet heads from 40 to 63 grn heads with the optimum head being 55grn. Hope this is of some use.

Kind regards Jimbo

all responses useful and gratefully received.

thank you all - will try the sako 55g's tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

all responses useful and gratefully received.

thank you all - will try the sako 55g's tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

The Sako 55grn Factory .222 have 21.6 grns Vihtavouri N130 powder if this info is of any use to you. This load i use with the 55grn Sierra Gamekings and 55grn Hornady V Max all go in the Bull at 100yds.
Most manuals give a lesser max load with the Lee manual near enough same.

Kind regards Jimbo

hi i have a tikka m590 .222 and i use sako arrowhead 50grain ballistic tips there fine group consistantly at 200 yards stopped a fox in his tracks at 180 yards this week no problem great round

I use 55gr sako gameheads,I have a Tikka t3 in .222.My tikka groups very well with them and wouldnt change to another brand.
Atb John.

All this Sako terminology is a bit of mumbo-jumbo.

Sako 'Hammerheads' only come in the larger calibres.... not .224".

Sako 'Gameheads' in .222 are 55 grain Sierra Gamekings (with a cannellure) 'cos I've taken some apart in the past. I suspect these are what you've bought.

Sako 'Arrowheads' in .222 are really 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Brit would know best, but I'm sure that BSA used standard European barrel twist rates so the .222 will be 1:14" ..... so anything from 40gr to 63gr (SMP profile) will shoot.

Last edited:

Sako 'Gameheads' in .222 are 55 grain Sierra Gamekings (with a cannellure) 'cos I've taken some apart in the past. I suspect these are what you've bought.

Brit would know best, but I'm sure that BSA used standard European barrel twist rates so the .222 will be 1:14" ..... so anything from 40gr to 63gr (SMP profile) will shoot.

According to the information in Knibbs "Golden Century" book the .222 Rem has 6 groves Right Hand twist 1 in 14".

Sako factory Gameheads are nothing like Sierra Gamekings i have both in front of me now and the reloaded Gameking head is more pointed than the Sako factory round. sako Gameheads can be 50 and 55grn .224 heads. 90 & 100 grn in .243 heads i also reload Sierra Gameking 100grn heads for .243 once again Sako 100grn head different to Sierra Gamekings.

Kind regards Jimbo

Last edited:
I have recently given away my .222 CZ527 American to a friend who shunts me around sometimes in his vehicle now that I am relegated to a scooter and `old fart` status.
I obtained this fine rifle from a gentleman on this site in exchange for some of my photographic gear when DVLA terminated my driving licence due to Glaucoma.
It is a half-incher at 100yds with the Speer 52gr H.P. and the Sierra Blitz 50gr S.P. bullets.
Currently I am loading it with 24.8gr of BLC2 and the CCI 400 primer in RP or Sako brass.
Both of these bullets would be too explosive for Deer species but on furred and feathered vermin they were wonderful.
As with all loads used by others it is advisable to work up to mine.

HWH.

Back