Braque French Pointer recall issue

Malxwal

I've been asked a question by a work colleague. He has taken on a year old Braque pointer, and is having no luck training in recall, even with the help of a local dog trainer. The dog is purely a pet, not for working, but does get exercised up in the hills in proximity to reds, roe hares etc, and is prone to disappearing with his nose to the ground.
The dog will not respond to the usual recall/reward, and has no interest in food treats or praise.
Any suggestions, sorry helpful suggestions, appreciated.

There are dogs that cannot be trained, but how long has he had the dog? There is no use trying anything until a bond has been formed with the dog, it takes different times for different dogs, until this has been done do not try anything,its alldown to trust.

Malxwal,is it a Pyrenean or Gascogne Braque?
Just out of interest.....
Also out of interest,who is the local dog trainer?PM me if you prefer.
I presume up our way,beside Banchory?
No?
BTW helpful suggestions.....sometimes owners do not like the truth,most trainers will give helpful suggestions,it's whether the owner listens and does those things that can help the dog/owner out.
Should the dog be off the lead if it does not respond to recall/stop????

Malxwal,is it a Pyrenean or Gascogne Braque?
Just out of interest.....
Also out of interest,who is the local dog trainer?PM me if you prefer.
I presume up our way,beside Banchory?
No?
BTW helpful suggestions.....sometimes owners do not like the truth,most trainers will give helpful suggestions,it's whether the owner listens and does those things that can help the dog/owner out.
Should the dog be off the lead if it does not respond to recall/stop????
The dog trainer is probably not the most advanced, she runs gundog classes for puppies and young dogs, but I'm not sure to what level she's qualified, trains at Blairs. I'd think more accute remedial training would be beyond the remit of what she does, which is basic obedience.
I'll have to ask the lad a bit more, but I don't think he's had the dog that long, as he never mentioned it last time I was working with him which was a few months ago. He got the dog through a rehoming centre in France, I think his mother has something to do with.
This guy would gladly hear the truth, very pragmatic.
The dog is kept on the lead wherever there's a possibility of it running off. He was up Cairngorm way and got a free run when it smelt a hare...
I'll find out a bit more and revert...

Last edited:
Long lead word,d min (Toot Whistle) drag to heal and make sit treat. same again and again till the dog dose it. I would make sure the dog was hungry and use treat method Braques i saw getting trained were like the spinoes hard to get through to but once they got it they never forgot.
Good luck

Cheers Sir, fairly basic stuff then. I have no idea to what extent training has been done, or what.
I have a friend who has Spinones, maybe worth a wordy with her as well.

Long lead (trailing) and check/choke chain, start in a controlled area and let the dog head off, say command (ignored) stand on trailing lead. It might also be worth bringing in a whistle and stop command instead of recall, whistle's will give a more consistent sound (voice doesn't) and if it stops/sits your friend can approach it. For more reference look at how spaniels are trained to be steady in a rabbit pen

OK, to update, he's only had the dog two months, and this is it's third home in it's short life, so no surprise it may take a good while to build up a trust bond. It';s apparently an Allemande (possibly grossly misspelt) variety.
I'll pass on the advice, and also continue to apply some of it in an effort to get my 3 yr old cocker bitch to stop chasing birds (strangely only pheasants unfortunately).

Back