Rifle sling?

tim123

Probably seems like an irrelevant piece of kit. But I've just picked up my new stalking rifle and I need a sling for it. Is there any pros/cons to having leather or synthetic. What do you prefer and why? Probably seems like a stupid question but I've been looking on the web and tthere are hundred available and I've got no idea what I want.

Probably seems like an irrelevant piece of kit. But I've just picked up my new stalking rifle and I need a sling for it. Is there any pros/cons to having leather or synthetic. What do you prefer and why? Probably seems like a stupid question but I've been looking on the web and tthere are hundred available and I've got no idea what I want.

ive got A niggeloh backpack sling which I love makes a long stalk more comfortable that's for sure but never really favoured one fabric over the other to be honest.......

Hi Tim123,

Go for one with a non slip broad strap to spread the load and stop it sliding off your shoulder when stalking.
Willie

Actually if you stop and think about it the choice becomes easier.

First you have to decide what you want FROM the sling.

Do you want a simple carrying strap?

Or one that keeps the rifle right back when slung to allow both hands free for other things?

Do you wish to use it as a shooting aid?

Once you decide on what you want from the sling then you can look at what is on offer or can be made for you.

If your carrying a rifle in the mountains where you want it to stay on your shoulder with hands free, you want a narrow sling not more than 1". a narrow sling will "dig" into your shoulder and stay there. Wide slings slip off the shoulder and require to use a hand to constanly locate them. i stay away from leather as it gets soggy and dries out slowly, rusting sling sling swivels.

You can make a good sling yourself for a few dollars, using 1" hush stalker attachments, 1" webbing tibe from a outdoors shop, a bit of hockey stick handle tape and a couple of "keepers".

I picked up a "WideTrack" sling for my 10-22 yesterday, cost me tenner from Ian Hodge Field Sports. It's probably not what you'd stick with but it would get you started and you' might then have a better idea of what you really want. My heavier 17HMR has a wide, neoprene sling that is very comfortable but does slip off the shoulder as Mountainstalker points out, so I would suggest that you get one that adjusts quite easily so that you can sling it on your opposite shoulder, (over your head) for more secure walking because it is a pain having to hold the rifle.

Paul

I have a bi athlon type sling which is just superb for carrying my AICS Remmy 700, equal distribution of weight on both shoulders and works so well with the side plate fixings on the AICS. My physio also agrees its a good idea. Am not sure how they work with conventional place sling fixing positions. I alco have a flexible neoprene butler creek sling which is also very good.

D

Your question is a very good one considering the combined cost of your scope and rifle as well as the safety aspect of the rifle coming off your shoulder accidentally.
Be careful of "chicago screws" if your sling has them fitted.
The damn things can unscrew unnoticed if they are not secured with loctite or similar and the rifle drops off your shoulder. That happened to me but luckily the rifle dropped a short distance onto tussocky grass and no harm done.

I prefer the "Uncle Mike's" brand now, they have a buckle at each end and you can see it's secure, not pricey either.

fraser

Last edited:
ive got A niggeloh backpack sling which I love makes a long stalk more comfortable that's for sure but never really favoured one fabric over the other to be honest.......

I have recently got one of these and can hardly feel the rifle on my shoulders. Really comfortable bit of kit. Also keeps the rifle on your back when you need to get on your belly. Only slight drawback is they cut across my bino bikini straps,but I can live with that.

I've had quite a few over the years and found they were all crap,comfortable yes but all slip around when you got a modded rifle,next sling will try niggeloh,only thing is what happens if you slip and fall back on the rifle

I've had quite a few over the years and found they were all crap,comfortable yes but all slip around when you got a modded rifle,next sling will try niggeloh,only thing is what happens if you slip and fall back on the rifle

Well I'm not saying it can't happen but touch wood I've never fallen over backwards whilst stalking every other way yes but not backwards but if it I were to ill just prey I suppose :lol:

You can't check the safety either,I check mine all the time

Im anal about checking mine but always ensure its on before I move off but I never go stalking with one in the chamber anyway so even if it were to come off no harm would come anyway....

The sling I use most on my bunny guns/.22 rifles - an army issue SA80 job

On my other rifles I use some M1907 pattern slings of my own making

The Niggeloh slings are a cunning design really - but not for the reasons that the end-user would necessarily pick up on: they are purely an off-shoot of the German Wehrmacht Cavalry/FJ Y-strap used to take the strain off the leather belt - so with some minor tweaking are a good way to adopt a military issue pattern item to civilian use

I use a nigelloh neoprene sling and prefer in to the butler creek synthetic sling or leather variety
next one will be a nigelloh ruck sling

Hi there,

I use the z aim pro. Very comfy and stable. Better for me as I usually travel with a small backback (water bladder type).

Back