Monmouth B&B needed please

stratts

Hi guys,
Anyone know of a cheap n cheerful place for us to stay when we travel for the H4H shoot at Monmouth.

Me and my shooting buddy and the better halves are coming down on the Saturday & stopping the night ready for the day on the Sunday. Nowt fancy just a B&B and somewhere to get a pub meal Sat night?

Cheers

Stratts

Food is the Old Court Hotel in Whitchurch which is about 4 miles out of Monmouth towards Ross on Wye, it isn't cheap cheap but the food and surroundings are very nice, If however you want a Indian then the Jewel Balti is very good :)

B+B wise I'd stick with the Weather spoons lodge at the top of Monmouth town as you have Spoons next door and the Punch House over the road which is a lovely pub. There is also the Coach house which has lovely rooms but best to call and check pricing as they have all be recently refurbed.

I apologise in advance for the locals as they are a funny bunch with 2 distinct types, 1. the local weirdos and 2. the upper class.

Also you might be graced with the presence of "Mad Will" who is always ****ed but a lovely guy who likes to talk and help old ladies across the street by standing in front of the traffic and ushering them across.

If you would like a tour guide let me know as my rates are very fair :)

http://www.jdwetherspoon.co.uk/home/hotels/the-kings-head

Last edited:
Stratts there is information on a self catering holiday cottage run by a Stalking Directory member in the infomation to shooters bumph that I sent you. The cottage is a few miles out of Monmouth in a very quiet remote location but you won't find a more helpful and friendly guy than Macberran and his family.

If it is bed and breakfast that you are looking for in town ths85 has given you the lowdown, but you could also contact the local tourist office or another that I am aware of having done some work in the adjoining pub for the owner is the Green Dragon 01600 712561. I don't know what the accomodation is like only that they provide B&B and that parking is convenient, it is in town and only 1/2 a mile from the range.

As ths85 said there are two types of local in Monmouth, carrot cruncher/swede kickers and those that are well off. :rofl:

Thanks fella's sounds like we'll fit in a treat (and we aint well off!!!)

Most are booked up though, seems a busy weekend!! :(

I saw that place in the pack mate but it only sleeps 3 and we are 4!

I'd be a local weirdo then :D Monmouth is my home town and I'm definitely not upper crust.

weatherspoon lodge in the square is ok.or the pub opposite forget the name.but the brains bitter is spot on:D
stotty

Get in touch with Elmer Fudd on here. Last time I stayed in a lovely caravan he has in Monmouth.

Hahahahahahah. rather you than me!! Not too bad if you want a quick cuppa between shooting/rounding up cattle but wouldnt fancy spending the night!
May come up and have a drink or 2. Who is planning on having a few in Monmouth?

​Edd

Aha, youve been there then :)

It sounds like this may not be the place for 2 fellas and their other halves??

I've mailed a couple of places but all the ones in town are booked up!!

Last resort will be the travelodge on the A40 I'd just prefer somewhere more secure coz we'll have 3 or 4 rifles with us!!

That is booked too mate.

We have success though and have booked The Hostelire @ Goodrich which looks nice. About 10mins away from Monmouth by all accounts.

Anyone know it?

Cheers

Ha ha I get the feeling we may have dodged a bullet.

I've got them in the car to try out tnite mate I'm heading out on the bunnies later. ;) But I've got the hang of flicking them out, much to the Mrs & kids amusement!!

Back