Headtorches

willowbank

Having spent a small fortune on various cheapo Cree and Petzel headtorches, mainly from China I would like to get a decent one to aid Gralloching etc.

What are your experiences with headtorches, is there an outstanding one available at sensible money?

Regards WB

Have got the best head torch I have ever used. Not got with me a present but when home will report back. Small square led with rechargeable battery positioned at back of head. This thing can be used for lumping, or turn down the power and you can read a book by it.

Fenix hl21, small bright strong waterproof and takes a single AA battery so easy to keep a spare battery.

Led lensa variable power and beam adjustment on 3 AAA batteries nice light I use mine for lamping rabbits and general smooching about. Not cheap by any means but a decent bit of kit.

Had mine 18 months and have just had to change the batteries for the first time. Comes with a neoprene belt case ,very very light and well made

MD

Having spent a small fortune on various cheapo Cree and Petzel headtorches, mainly from China I would like to get a decent one to aid Gralloching etc.

What are your experiences with headtorches, is there an outstanding one available at sensible money?

Regards WB

WB,

You might be surprised to find that original Cree and Petzl work "as it says on the tin"

You chose to let yourself down by buying knock off......

​Stan

WB,

You might be surprised to find that original Cree and Petzl work "as it says on the tin"

You chose to let yourself down by buying knock off......

​Stan

Agree - have had a Petzi - same as this non Asian one - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Petzl-Zip...ightsLanternsTorches&var=&hash=item3a81b2b7ca for over 8 years - very compact without all the straps etc that are attached to others and use it when gralloching or retrieving foxes after using n/v. If I lost mine tomorrow, I would replace it with exactly the same model

I think Petzl is one of the top brands. The Petzl Myo is small and good. Also the Black Diamond Storm. Have a look what the mushers in the Iditarod use. They depend their life on it. I use a cheap Decathlon one, which is fine to feed the dogs, sheep, horses, in winter time, but this happens in a safe environment. It gives a beam which is fine to work with, not very far and not narrow, just O.K. for daily use. Would I take it on a brown bear hunt in Alaska, no way.

BIG + 1 for led lnser from me. I have the rechargable HR7 (?) and it gets a hammering in all kinds of weather, and pretty rough conditions. Cant fault mine so far, but I know of plenty of guys who have had problems with LL headlamps. These have almost all been due to the wiring at the hinge breaking down. Led Lenser have honoured the warranty without question every time.

Think it comes down to whether you are happy with your head being covered with various straps/battery packs (which in my case would always require me to remove my shooting hat of choice) or whether you would want a compact torch that can easily fit in the smallest pocket in your coat/trousers. I occasionally put my Petzi on my wrist for gralloching - works equally well.

not tryed a led lenser but have been using a top end petzl for can't remember how many years. compact and light wieght, different brightness setting, boost button and coloured fillters. be lost without it.:D

Back