Roe deer ratio

shuggie

I know this question has come up before but i am only interested in Roe deer i started last year at the bucks recording outings per deer shot,i had 50 bucks way 65 outings 3 shot in the morning the rest were evenings .The does so far 39 way 42 outings about half morning stalks.I was just interested if anyone else kept records like this Shuggie

I always record the number of outings on each monthly cull sheet.

The ratio varies hugely depending on the time of year - at the moment I'm averaging 2 for 1 (2 deer for each outing) - but in the summer months that goes out to about r or ten to one (for each carcase in the larder.

I know this question has come up before but i am only interested in Roe deer i started last year at the bucks recording outings per deer shot,i had 50 bucks way 65 outings 3 shot in the morning the rest were evenings .The does so far 39 way 42 outings about half morning stalks.I was just interested if anyone else kept records like this Shuggie

That is a very high success rate, you must have a very high deer density on your land.
I attended a BDS course recently and it was stated that on ground with a high deer density the typical average time it takes one stalker to shoot one deer is 12 hours, assuming a stalk is some 3 hours that is a success rate of 1:4.
On ground with a lower deer density the average time required to cull one deer is some 18 hours.
The course (BDS Deer Manager) was lectured by some big names and one of the students was a very well known stalking author. They certainly didn't disagree with those estimates.

Why is this useful to know? For example an estate is looking to manage deer in a woodland and can either contract the job out to a prof or set up a small syndicate using a few amateurs. A simple costs/benefits analyses will provide them with the data to help them make a choice how to manage the deer.

Hi mate is was just a question of interest ,i have a few bits to shoot ,half the ratio is on a piece that i am a member of a syndicate of 6 others there ratios were well down on mine ,so i was interested on other stalkers.As a point of interest i have stalked over 20yrs,and i still remember my first stalking ground ,i stalked there a full year and shot 1 nearly every outing i was out i saw deer,started to change my approach and as time went buy the numbers went up

I'm on 1:1 at the moment, always am around that on the Does. When it comes to the Bucks it's a different ball game, more like 1:3 or 1:4 outings. More cover and they don't sit in the middle of fields in plain view in the summer!

That is a very high success rate, you must have a very high deer density on your land.
I attended a BDS course recently and it was stated that on ground with a high deer density the typical average time it takes one stalker to shoot one deer is 12 hours, assuming a stalk is some 3 hours that is a success rate of 1:4.
On ground with a lower deer density the average time required to cull one deer is some 18 hours.
The course (BDS Deer Manager) was lectured by some big names and one of the students was a very well known stalking author. They certainly didn't disagree with those estimates.

Why is this useful to know? For example an estate is looking to manage deer in a woodland and can either contract the job out to a prof or set up a small syndicate using a few amateurs. A simple costs/benefits analyses will provide them with the data to help them make a choice how to manage the deer.

Good point Eric, sadly a lot of people expect to shoot deer every outing, and feel short changed if they dont.
Paul

I'd be very wary of quoting figures and saying "this is good, this is bad and this is normal" - its good to keep records for no other reason than showing you when and where you are more effective (if you need to be?).

I'm always more effective in the winter and particularly so when there is snow on the ground - but maybe that's just me or due to the ground I stalk on?

Good point Eric, sadly a lot of people expect to shoot deer every outing, and feel short changed if they dont.
Paul

This question was just a matter of interest,not to try and say these are good or bad,or make anyone feel bad,it was just as i am a member of a few syndicates and the other members ratio were down i thought i would ask the question .I have been stalking for over 20yrs so probably gained a bit of experience

Back