Old .308 Moderator

andibrains

Right guys, I have a request which may appear at first glance to be a little strange.

I am after an old moderator, when I say old I mean shot out. To explain some, Im a senior lecturer in a university and every year we give students final year engineering projects to work on for the duration of the academic year. What I would really like to do is set a project looking at fluid flow (i.e. air) through a moderator. To do this I would need to be able to create a 3D computer model of the mod to do the analysis on. The only way I can see to do this is to physically measure one. Maybe even looking at fluid flow through a number of moderators?

I know its a long shot and some ppl may think Im just trying it on but thought I would ask.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Are you telling me software like Solid Works with the Flow works add on cannot do this?
It seemed to be able to do so when I saw it being used in the design office of a firm I worked for and it also showed pressure drop too.

Solidworks, flowworks and Ansys are perfectly capable of this Im looking for a moderator than can be chopped in half basically, so that I can accurately measure the geometry and look at increase in surface roughness as a result of use. This will obviously affect the flow regime. I was not expecting much to be honest just though I would ask. WHat do people do with there old moderators at end of useful life??

Have you tried dropping an email to Peter Jackson at Jackson Rifles he is a really good guy and I am sure he may be able to help.

Andibrains They are classed as firearms and need to be disposed of properly. A visit to your local gunsmith / gundealer might be the way forward with perhaps a chat [in your professional capacity as a lecturer] with your local Firearms licensing authority might bear fruit in securing what you want.

I did know that and have the appropriate slot on the FAC, good advice tho for some reason I had not thought of doing that :doh::doh::doh: Cheers chaps

Andibrains, a mod can only classed as firearm when it's screwed on the rifle, when it's off the rifle it's nothing more than a gash bit of metal, the reason its on FAC is for the "use" of.

It's neither legal or ilegal to own a moderator but it is ilegal to use a moderator on a rifle if you do not have moderator on FAC.

The only time a moderator, in it's own right, becomes ilegal is if you put it in a sock and hit someone over the head with it, then it becomes a deadly weapon.

You can quite legally go to an RFD and buy a moderator for an air rifle, (some of these also fit 22 RFs) and you do not need FAC to use it or own it for an air rifle. It's one of these "grey" areas that could do with sorting out instead of leading to a lot of confusion as it does.

Are you telling me software like Solid Works with the Flow works add on cannot do this?
It seemed to be able to do so when I saw it being used in the design office of a firm I worked for and it also showed pressure drop too.

Pretty much what i did some time ago. I took the measurements from a DMII in order to create it using Pro-Desktop. Afterwards i designed my own.

I'd just pop into a dealers and buy a moderator 'intended' for an air rifle. Cheap and without any legalities to worry about.

I have an old Atec 30 cal moderator in bits, which can be screwed back together.
The threaded bit that goes on a barrel is damaged.
Would that be of help?
edi

Back