Mistaken for a fox.

kev.rem700

I went to one of my farms i control foxes on when the farmer said to me that two boys that have not long started shooting a farm next door had shot a hare thinking it was a fox. Im sorry but i just cant see how they mistake a hare for a fox. They left the hare on the boundry fence where the farmer i shoot for saw it and asked the farmer next door about it. Then he has asked the boys and this was their explanation. If they are realy that thick that could have been easly a lamb. It just shows you these boys are trigger happy or just plain thick and they have been issued a firearm certificate.

Regards Kev.

What has animal recognition got to do with being issued a fac?

I get where your coming from but no relevance currently to being issued a fac..

What has animal recognition got to do with being issued a fac?

I get where your coming from but no relevance currently to being issued a fac..

You are quite right PS1, quarry identification does not have anything to do with being issued an FAC, but in a way it does raise questions about the shooters abilities and suitability - There are no details as to if the shot was taken in daylight or on the lamp, which might make things a little clearer for others who might like to comment on this "situation". If it were on the lamp then I would have some serious concerns about the shooters - Surely NO shot should ever be taken until the "target" is positively identified - Something I have always insisted on whenever I have "mentored" anyone! And of course, if anyone were to shoot a hare (By mistake or otherwise?) why the heck leave good meat to rot on the fence - Surely to do that it becomes nothing more than "killing for the sake of killing" (Trigger happy), something I do not and will not agree with?
I love a nice hare casserole but haven't shot one for years on my permissions as I prefer to leave the very few that are there on my permissions alone - Regardless of the time of year!

We all no there is no animal recognition test. I was talking more about the mentality of these boys. Frenchy boy the hare was shot on the lamp and my concerns are exactly the same as yours .

Regards Kev

We all no there is no animal recognition test. I was talking more about the mentality of these boys. Frenchy boy the hare was shot on the lamp and my concerns are exactly the same as yours .

Regards Kev

Then I would say that your concerns are justified!
I personally fail to see how any shooter can fail to identify the differences between a fox and a hare - Even on the lamp!
I have two sayings that I always stick to - If there is ever any doubt about the shot you quite simply don't release the safety catch! It is so easy enough for an accident to happen, but when it has happened it is too late - You can't "unhappen it"!

I expect they knew what they were shooting but thought they might get an earful if they admitted it was on purpose, especially if the carcass was just dumped.

Then I would say that your concerns are justified!
I personally fail to see how any shooter can fail to identify the differences between a fox and a hare - Even on the lamp!
I have two sayings that I always stick to - If there is ever any doubt about the shot you quite simply don't release the safety catch! It is so easy enough for an accident to happen, but when it has happened it is too late - You can't "unhappen it"!

Couldnt agree more it was in a field full of sheep and lambs as i said it could easily have been a lamb.

Regards kev

Three questions:

If they knew what it was and planned to dump it..then why shoot it at all?

If they didn't know what it was and realised it was wrong why hang it on the fence!?!

Has the farmer actually told them to shoot all the hares?! (not unusual)

sounds to me like they either didn't know what it was, shot it anyway, didn't realise it was wrong and hung it on the fence
or
the farmer wants all the hares shot and they did what was asked regardless of whether right or wrong!

Three questions:

If they knew what it was and planned to dump it..then why shoot it at all?

If they didn't know what it was and realised it was wrong why hang it on the fence!?!

Has the farmer actually told them to shoot all the hares?! (not unusual)

sounds to me like they either didn't know what it was, shot it anyway, didn't realise it was wrong and hung it on the fence
or
the farmer wants all the hares shot and they did what was asked regardless of whether right or wrong!

The farmer didnt ask them to shoot hares as he confronted them about it and they said they said they thought it was a fox. Hares are out of season so even if the farmer asked its wrong. I think these pair are just a pair of yong boys that havnt got a clue or any regards for gun safety or even to bother to actually no what they are shooting at.

Doug there is a few deer on my side of the fence which i will be keeping a close eye on.The deer dont realy venture on to there side as there is sheep in every field. I think their rifle will be a .22 centre fire of some kind and i dought they will have hares on there conditions.

Regards Kev

No doubt they were shooting at the eye shine rather than seeing either a Fox or the Hare.

Not clever. They won't hold that land long.

No doubt they were shooting at the eye shine

Think some strong words are needed before they end up shooting someone out walking their dog.......completely irresponsible. Perhaps they are acting in ignorance, but there's absolutely no place that where firearms are concerned. A severe bollocking is the least that's warranted. They need a lesson that's going to strike home

Back