Scottish Airguns

Dan Newcombe

Just realised that i have an air pistol squirreled away in my cupboard.

Would i be right in assuming that i will shortly need a license and therefore will need to apply. I don't use it much and just in the garden for plinking away (when i manage to find the magazines).

Would that be 'good reason' to have one?

Thanks

Dan

Yes.

see here for info. http://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/ai...nsing-in-scotland-frequently-asked-questions/

Although as you are on this forum its a good chance you already have a FAC so no need to panic,

6. I live in Scotland and already have a shotgun certificate/firearm certificate. Do I need to apply for another certificate for my air rifle?
Yes. However, those with an existing certificate would not need to apply for an airgun certificate until their existing certificate/s expires. When renewing your existing shotgun or firearm certificate you would then be expected to apply for an airgun certificate.

If you have an SGC you are covered till it needs renewing, then you will need to apply for one of the new licences

I understand that it can go onto my firearms certificate but i was thinking that if 'back yard plinking' isn't a reason to have a little CO2 air pistol i struggle to see what reasons people have them for.

Having spoken to the wildlife crime officer up here and he seems to have no more idea than anyone how the law is going to work, looks like I'll just apply with the little pistol and see what happens, they are more than welcome to it if needs must.

He also couldn't tell me if you will need to apply for individual air guns and have 'slots' for them or if it would be more like a shotgun.

Bit of a buggers muddle

Thanks

Dan

I understand that it can go onto my firearms certificate but i was thinking that if 'back yard plinking' isn't a reason to have a little CO2 air pistol i struggle to see what reasons people have them for.

Having spoken to the wildlife crime officer up here and he seems to have no more idea than anyone how the law is going to work, looks like I'll just apply with the little pistol and see what happens, they are more than welcome to it if needs must.

He also couldn't tell me if you will need to apply for individual air guns and have 'slots' for them or if it would be more like a shotgun.

Bit of a buggers muddle

Thanks

Dan

Yes Buggers Muddle and SNP go well in the same sentance. Really can't understand why they are likely to get back in tomorrow. Everything they have got involved with has been a buggers muddle. They couldn't even win a referendum!

I've just been doorstepped by a gang of the *******s. They went a bit quiet when I asked what their candidates views on firearms were (I'd just been shooting some rabbits out the back and the air rifle was propped up on the rack behind me for cleaning).

In theory the licence is already a legal requirement, but as there is no process in place for applying, and no real agreement on what constitutes "good reason" etc. I really don't think anything will happen before the end of this year at the earliest. Spoke to my FEO about it when I renewed and he said he didn't know how it was going to be managed, because they are not proposing any more resources to handle the massive numbers (estimated (probably a bit low too) 500'000 air guns in the wild in Scotland). He also didn't know what security provisions would be required. Or what would constitute good reason. He is an airgun shooter himself so wasn't too pleased with it all.

Air pistol..."squirreled away" there's your "good reason". For humane despatch of wounded squirrels, rabbits, hares, corvids, etc., that I have shot with my shot gun and for safety do not wish to handle (risk of being bitten/pecked/hygiene) or for safety (ricochet) do not wish to expend a second shot gun cartridge on them. Sorted!

Yes.

see here for info. http://basc.org.uk/basc-scotland/ai...nsing-in-scotland-frequently-asked-questions/

Although as you are on this forum its a good chance you already have a FAC so no need to panic,

6. I live in Scotland and already have a shotgun certificate/firearm certificate. Do I need to apply for another certificate for my air rifle?
Yes. However, those with an existing certificate would not need to apply for an airgun certificate until their existing certificate/s expires. When renewing your existing shotgun or firearm certificate you would then be expected to apply for an airgun certificate.

hope someone has told the Police this gem
they din't know anything about that when I asked them.....

clusterf**k of the highest order

IMO it will get buried until well after the Scottish Election and even then it has not passed across for Royal Assent
I suspect it will be a still birth before it gets off the ground, especially if we all vote Labour to keep the SNP at bay......

Interesting debate on airguns.
What is the provision for visitors from England or elsewhere who bring an airgun for pest control in Scotland say for during a visit when other forms of shooting might be pursued?
Even if one sassenach has an English FAC/SGC do the same rules apply to "foreigners"?

What is the provision for visitors from England or elsewhere who bring an airgun for pest control in Scotland say for during a visit when other forms of shooting might be pursued?
Even if one sassenach has an English FAC/SGC do the same rules apply to "foreigners"?

nobody knows

oh and all our children are supposed to have a government appointed responsible adult to ensure that are brought up correctly and don't suffer any harm. Just another of the SNPs bright ideas.

oh and all our children are supposed to have a government appointed responsible adult to ensure that are brought up correctly and don't suffer any harm.

Didn't they used to call them parents?

Mind you, I'm sure that's all the Tories fault. Apparently the SNP would be ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING if it wasn't for 'Westminster', 'Tories' and 'Tory austerity'.

They've only had 9 years to try and get a grip though. And so far they've got a really good grip. Of the media. Of key public appointments. Of power.

And those 'Tories' in 'Westminster' have been there for......oh....at least.......almost 12 months.

nobody knows

oh and all our children are supposed to have a government appointed responsible adult to ensure that are brought up correctly and don't suffer any harm. Just another of the SNPs bright ideas.

I was delighted to hear that we would all be getting a 'head gardener' as our garden is really getting out of control but no, it's just the 'child-friendly' language for granting overbearing state powers to a prying government busy-body.

As far as I understand it If you come to Scotland from England with a section 1 firearm and a shotgun and have the legal right to use them you do not need a visitors permit. However if you bring you 12ftlb non-fac airgun then you will need a visitors permit.

I think it is all a bit mad. Laws have been in place to prevent the misuse of weapons for a long time. I also think that many people, myself included "cut there teeth" using airguns as youngsters.

OH well thank you to everyone who responded. I will try and remember to apply for a visitors permit.
Will I need one every time I come up to Scotland to my bit of ground?
or is there a "multi-visit" version?

Provision for those non-resident in Scotland is on the BASC website using the link already posted on the forum earlier. If you've an FSAC or SGC it seems nothing need be done until it expires. After that, or some other set and certain date, you need to apply for a Scottish Airgun Certificate. Hope it helps!

Wildlife crime chap reckoned that it would actually be easier if you go for a FAC rated air gun and just have it on ticket!

Then proceeded to enthuse about the one he has for 10 minutes ………. all i wanted was a trap number for some larsens!

Nice guy and seemed very sensible, worried about what is going to be done with all these new laws.

With this level of bonkers I truly worry for the future of this country

Yup me too - and also at how gullible most people are.

And as for Trump as president - well that is truly scary. Makes JW Bush look intelligent. If I was the poeple living in the middle of his Golf course on the Aberdeenshire cost I would be investing in hard shelters!

Hopefully sturgeon's loss of majority will put paid to railroading any old ******** through parliament now!

Back