removing glued on mounts

buckup

Has anyone done this first hand? I understand some heat needs to be applied, but from what source is best? Are we talking blow torch temps or electric paint stripper temps? Obviously I don't want to apply any more eat than is absolutely necessary.
Fingers crossed someone here can help me with this one.
Best regards,
Mark.

Has anyone done this first hand? I understand some heat needs to be applied, but from what source is best? Are we talking blow torch temps or electric paint stripper temps? Obviously I don't want to apply any more eat than is absolutely necessary.
Fingers crossed someone here can help me with this one.
Best regards,
Mark.

Normally 130ºC ish for loctite. Best to remove action from stock so that you do not damage the wood/plastic. Heat will not damage the bluing (if blued) Good blow torch will do it, elec. heater will be a little slow!
I have used oxy acetylene to heat some well 'glued' on mounts!

are you talking scope or rifle?

I bought a Zeiss with Apel mounts that the tw@t I bought them from had araldited on.
It consequently removed the paint on removing the rings

It did prompt me to do a (excellent job though I say so myself of) repaint(ing) of the entire scope

Correct Joe. The Apel mounts come complete with solvent cleaner and a UHU brand two pack glue to use. I now wish to fit much cheaper Leupold mounts and rings to one of my two Sauer's. Cost of complete Leupold mounts and rings is about one third of new Apel rings!

I assume Mounts on rifle, rings on scope!!!

Correct Joe. The Apel mounts come complete with solvent cleaner and a UHU brand two pack glue to use. I now wish to fit much cheaper Leupold mounts and rings to one of my two Sauer's. Cost of complete Leupold mounts and rings is about one third of new Apel rings!

Sounds like an epoxy, same again apply some heat and the epoxy will decompose!

Strewth! I too suffered the continental glued on rings on a Diatal-ZA that I purchased in Paris and also a Nickel-Marburg bought there too. Those continentals certainly like their Araldaite!

I tried putting it in the fridge for three days. Didn't have much effect BUT just a wipe of the finger on each lens to clear the ICE off and the view through the Zeiss was...perfect! Didn't try it with the Nickel-Marburg as I used WD-40 and that "crept" enough under the Araldite for me to pick it off with the tip of a scalpel blade.

Cost of complete Leupold mounts and rings is about one third of new Apel rings!
But the quality is also about one third of the Apels IMO.
Martin

Generally epoxy gets more heat resistant with heat treatment. (Temper)
Especially UHU endfest 300 which can get heat resistant up to maybe ~150 C.
meaning, heat up once and remove.
edi

If it is an epoxy resin - then alcohol ie meths etc or vodka if you prefer will disolve the resin. Regatds-K

Not if it is good epoxy.
We made exaust mufflers for model aeroplans before from epoxy/glas. They lasted even though engines were running on methanol and
temps were very high.
edi

Agreed, alcohol won't touch epoxy.

Acetone might, or MEK... heat is the best bet though I would have thought.

Alex

Quick update.
I undid the screws on the rear mount and the base just fell off:). The front mount was stuck firm even after removing the screws. I figured if one fell off then the other shouldn't be too well stuck. Couple of taps with a very light (4oz) hammer using an old screwdriver handle to avoid metal to metal contact and ping! Off it came simples;).

I had followed the instructions to the letter when I fitted the bases seven or eight years ago, and never had any zero problems over that period. I have epoxy'ed the new Leupold bases on, but not really sure it serves much purpose now. Still belt braces AND bit of string is not a bad motto when mounting the scope to rifle.

Thanks for all replies,

Mark

Back