advice needed

I have recently bought two new rifles and wonder if any SD member could give me some advice on the following:
1.when transferring a bipod between several rifles can this effect the zero if re-attached as tightly as before ?
2.i have now bought three moderators for a .243 ,6.5 x55 and recently a 30 06.If I had bought a moderator for a 30 calibre rifle in the first place with a thread transferable to each rifle would this have been as effective in each rifle ?

I have yet to buy the third bipod

Regards Stephen

I have recently bought two new rifles and wonder if any SD member could give me some advice on the following:
1.when transferring a bipod between several rifles can this effect the zero if re-attached as tightly as before ?
2.i have now bought three moderators for a .243 ,6.5 x55 and recently a 30 06.If I had bought a moderator for a 30 calibre rifle in the first place with a thread transferable to each rifle would this have been as effective in each rifle ?

Regards Stephen

Ive never noticed a shift in zero when swapping a bipod between rifles.

A 30 cal moderator will not be as effective on a .243 as a .243 moderator will be. But the difference is not massive. My preference is to do as you have done and have a moderator specific to a calibre wherever possible.

When I had a .243 Win and 260 Rem, I ran them both with the same AU-S5 moderator in .30 cal for a long time. I only got another moderator when my Dad wanted to borrow the 260 Rem. I currently only own .30 cal moderators. I wouldn't dream of buying a smaller calibre moderator. The .30 cal mods seem to work fine on my 6XC and 260 Rems.

In terms of bipods, I don't like to change bipods once I have established a stalking zero. If I do change the bipod for some reason, I will do a quick zero check before stalking.

Regards

JCS

When I had a .243 Win and 260 Rem, I ran them both with the same AU-S5 moderator in .30 cal for a long time. I only got another moderator when my Dad wanted to borrow the 260 Rem. I currently only own .30 cal moderators. I wouldn't dream of buying a smaller calibre moderator. The .30 cal mods seem to work fine on my 6XC and 260 Rems.

In terms of bipods, I don't like to change bipods once I have established a stalking zero. If I do change the bipod for some reason, I will do a quick zero check before stalking.

Regards

JCS

Just out of interest..... do you check zero if you remove then replace your moderator ?

Just out of interest..... do you check zero if you remove then replace your moderator ?

Yes. The performance of the 6XC with the Jet-Z is different from its performance with the AU-SL5. My moderators spend 99% of their lives detached from the rifles. I put the moderator on the rifle when I've parked and I'm ready to go stalking or at a firing point on a range. I take the moderator off as soon as I've finished stalking/shooting. I last checked the zero of the 260 Rem on 12 Sept.

Regards

JCS

The only time a bipod will change the zero is if your foreend is flimsy and touching the barrel

The only time a bipod will change the zero is if your foreend is flimsy and touching the barrel

I would have thought so. So long as you have a free floating barrel, I can't see how it would affect zero. If this were the case, when shooting free handed or off sticks, the zero would change. So I wouldn't worry about that.

That's exactly how I see it too! I only use a bipod on my centrefire with I am culling and expecting to be shooting in either the prone position or from an elevated position (i.e. the roof of a motor) and I have never found any change in zero. As long as the barrel is fully floating and the forend is not too "flimsy" I don't see why there would be! Otherwise I shoot off sticks and my rifle holds the same zero as it does when shooting with the bipod fitted!
As for the moderator, I can't really say anything about using one moderator on numerous rifles as I don't have the need to do it - I only have my .270 and the T8 (30 cal) moderator to go with it! I remove the moderator from my rifle at the end of every outing and only re-fit it when I get to wherever I am shooing on the next outing. I have tried checking the zero on numerous occasions and I find that removing and refitting the moderator does not effect my rifle's zero!

I have two border barrels s/s HEAVY moderators one for 1/2" unf on 30.06 one for .243 1/2" unef. unscrewing and re- attaching makes no difference to zero. Bipods stay attached. Only cleaning or cleaning and de- fouling make the first subsequent shot go high rest bang on.

Bipod change should make no difference to accuracy.

One 30 Mod for all calibres makes sense to me. Yes, will not be as efficient on the smaller calibres but can the human ear detect 3,4 or 5 decibel change.

Don't forget to remove the Mod asap otherwise your new rifles barrel will be ruined in a very short time.

One 30 Mod for all calibres makes sense to me. Yes, will not be as efficient on the smaller calibres but can the human ear detect 3,4 or 5 decibel change.
Agree with your suggestions, but something worth noting - it's easy to think it's only going from 120dB to 125dB which isn't much difference - It's actually about a threefold increase in energy. For a single shot, no great shakes, but for a protracted range session it's not a trivial increase.

Last edited:
I have a 30 cal mod on my 243 which is OK but not great. Having said that, the terrain over which I'm shooting makes a huge difference to the perceived noise - some landscapes seem to absorb the bang while others reverberate and multiply the sound it seems.

I swap my bipod between 243 and 22LR without any problems.

Regards

JCS

JCS

When you check zero after changing bipoids, do you notice a change or is it still bang on?

Martin

Regards Stephen

Stephen, this all sounds like sensible advice.

Stephen, it has been touched upon by others, consider this..... ensure barrel is FREE-FLOATING before considering whether or not swapping bi-pods will affect 'zero' !

Regards,

GR

Regards Stephen

1. If there is a shift at all it is likely to be so small that it will not effect your normal hunting accuracy. Maybe only noticeable when testing under controlled conditions on a range.
2. I tested a .308 moderator on a .243 rifle, using the old earM1. It was very, very loud. I believe that basically the smaller the tolerance between bullet and moderator the more effective the moderation will be. So it may fit, but it will not work very well.
3. From a safety point of view one is well advised to use different screw-threads on different rifles when using different moderators. It would not be nice -but easily done- to accidentally put a .243 moderator on a .308 rifle and take a shot.

Does anybody else feel that a bipod promises a lot, but under normal circumstances fails to deliver
the expected gains

Does anybody else feel that a bipod promises a lot, but under normal circumstances fails to deliver
the expected gains

Not me!

I wouldn't be without my bipod when stalking on the Hill. It gives the extra height necessary to clear heather, etc.

Down South I keep a bipod on my rifle for the sitting/kneeling shots that occasionally crop up.

I maybe only use it half a dozen times per year, but I'd rather have it on the rifle than not.

the expected gains
absobloodlylutely! If you happen to be shooting across a valley, then nothing could be better (provided you don't mind lying on wet ground of course).
The reality for me is that I generally lose sight of the target.

Back