RSPCA and Firearms.

MartinB

I spoke to an armourer the other day who is part brokering a deal to supply the RSPCA with 30-06 Rifle's and .38 calibre pistols, apparently they do everything 'in house' now as opposed to having people on a short list to carry out work involving firearms.

All the easier for them to pretend to have nothing to do with firearms in the future. What a contemptible organisation they have become.

I spoke to an armourer the other day who is part brokering a deal to supply the RSPCA with 30-06 Rifle's and .38 calibre pistols, apparently they do everything 'in house' now as opposed to having people on a short list to carry out work involving firearms.

A little off topic, your avatar got me curious and I cannot read the Major's response, it is too fuzzy on your picture. Enlighten me please on the response in the speech bubble.

And how many shotguns are purchased by employees of the RSPB?

A little off topic, your avatar got me curious and I cannot read the Major's response, it is too fuzzy on your picture. Enlighten me please on the response in the speech bubble.

And how many shotguns are purchased by employees of the RSPB?

It says "Well so is quaffing laudanum and buggering the servants.... but they'll never take me alive"

Probably quite true as I am aware they have been training with the police and are moving forward I believe with this.

Probably quite true as I am aware they have been training with the police and are moving forward I believe with this.

Seems a little incongruous. The police training with firearms is somewhat different than for those who would use them for hunting and culling. Unless of course the RSPCA's goal in doing this is to eliminate all resistance...:)

Seems a little incongruous. The police training with firearms is somewhat different than for those who would use them for hunting and culling.

Not really. Firearms officers are frequently called upon to despatch rogue/injured/escaped/dangerous animals and in the past have had some stick for the way it's been done. (As we all now know a wheel brace is not an approved tool for deer euthanasia.) I know of one very unhappy Belgian Blue that was not quite as 'dead' as it should have been, having received a .308 to the head at short range.
I suspect that in these times of financial restraint the police are looking to divest themselves of any involvement in 'non-core policing' activity and will happily hand over responsibility for shooting errant domestic stock and maimed wildlife to the RSPCA. Good news for the police - loose the adverse PR and costs. Good news for RSPCA as their 'empire' expands and they can market themselves as the national 'experts' in humane despatch. Watch this space for the turf war over whose 'standards' should be 'nationally recognised' ... None of which has any bearing on what might be in the best interests of animal welfare... :(

From what experience I have had with the RSPCA in the past acquiring firearms is probably to help with fundraising ????

Tony

Last year, while we were sourcing a pistol for HD, I had a conversation will a dealer who said he had the contract to supply 250 .38 pistols to RSPCA:-| Don't have any way of confirming this, but the gentleman concerned is reputable and has previously supplied rifles with NV to the RSPB.:-|

If it is true, I would assume they are looking for extra income streams, because, no doubt they will charge for HD services.

Last year, while we were sourcing a pistol for HD, I had a conversation will a dealer who said he had the contract to supply 250 .38 pistols to RSPCA:-| Don't have any way of confirming this, but the gentleman concerned is reputable and has previously supplied rifles with NV to the RSPB.:-|

If it is true, I would assume they are looking for extra income streams, because, no doubt they will charge for HD services.
Theres no money in HD,RSPCA have historically used captive bolts for HD,perhaps they have finally realised they arent the tools for the job and getting kitted up properly!!!

I'm surprised that procurement details aren't confidential especially in relation to firearms. I would be pretty disappointed if I asked for quotes to supply or issued a purchase order to a supplier only to later see it being discussed on the interweb.

Theres no money in HD,RSPCA have historically used captive bolts for HD,perhaps they have finally realised they arent the tools for the job and getting kitted up properly!!!

Not always apparently. I am aware of them training to use pistols during the foot and mouth crisis, one of the trainers related an amusing incident to me about when he was conducting training for RSPCA staff. .

Back