tikka t 3 or browning x bolt

waggy 1

thinking of synthetic, stainless 6.5x55 probably, any body got opinions from experence, kind regards

I have been sorting out a load for a mate's X Bolt and, whilst it is a lovely rifle to handle, it has an absolutely atrocious trigger that really makes it difficult to shoot accurately. Whilst I don't particularly like the T3's synthetic stock, I have to admit that Trevor's is a brilliant rifle that is superbly accurate out of the box with just about any ammunition you care to lob through the barrel.

Go for the Tikka (and get a .270W instead of the Swede :evil:)

thinking of synthetic, stainless 6.5x55 probably, any body got opinions from experence, kind regards

I have a t3 in 6.5x55 all weather. Can't fault it to the point of don't think I would buy anything other than a stainless synthetic, this is a personal choice!!

Get a T3.
unless you want to take your trigger finger to the gym to make it super strong.

I personally think synthetics are way too light though.

I had an X-bolt in 243. sold it for a T3.
Loved the X-Bolt but hated the trigger. So my recommendation is for the T3. Generally most people say the same about the X-Bolt. Nice accurate rifle with a crap trigger. If you like 3 to 3.5 lb trigger then you will be fine. It did my head in.

Tried both and its the t3 out of the two! The bolt and trigger on the x bolt are course, im a Browning fan got a 525 12g and a t-bolt in 17hmr but couldnt bring myself to get an x bolt!

why does a company as big as browning put such poor triggers in the x bolt ? is this not adjustable to make it a nice trigger if this is what lets the whole rifle down ?

Yes you can alter the trigger pull on the X bolt. There is a small key adjuster behind the trigger itself. Still not the best, even after reducing this down.

I've got both. Tikka 308 varmint and xbolt fluted in .243. Tikka is more accurate rifle. X bolt has better safety system. As for trigger pull its not something I think about, it is what it is, for shooting animals it's fine on both.

I was torn between a T3 or a Sako 85 both first rate shootin' irons. As for the calibre it was going to be 6.5x55 or 270 , I decided on 6.5x55 only because it is quoted in the Police Guidance Document 2002 as a fox and deer calibre so with both on the same rifle it would save any Police aggro in the future. Since that time additional ground game has been routinely added i.e. 270 grant for deer could have fox added.
I think the 6.5 is a superb calibre, kinder to your shoulder than 270 and supposedly a slightly higher ballistic co-efficient but to be honest there isn't too much between them.

looking like the t 3 gets most peoples votes ! thank you to everyone that has taken the time to give me advice, kind regards to all

I have been sorting out a load for a mate's X Bolt and, whilst it is a lovely rifle to handle, it has an absolutely atrocious trigger that really makes it difficult to shoot accurately. Whilst I don't particularly like the T3's synthetic stock, I have to admit that Trevor's is a brilliant rifle that is superbly accurate out of the box with just about any ammunition you care to lob through the barrel.

Go for the Tikka (and get a .270W instead of the Swede :evil:)

What load is he after? As I have a load for the 243? In 75 gr is interested and it shoots 5 round groups just about in the same hole! :)

The Browning is the better design, the Tikka has the better trigger and more importantly, better barrel. I think you would find the general experience would be the Tikka is on average more accurate.

I had the T3 for a while, but got rid of it and got a 1978 Parker Hale 1200. bloody lovely gun,, skinned me for 160 quid though, so not cheap!

Tikka t3 I have three of them. Had a browning ABolt and didn't get on with it. Don't know about the X bolt but well pleased with tikka for the money.

Back