160 Grain Hornandy RN in the .260 Rem ?

Uncle Norm

I have been watching with interest the thread on the 6.5x54MS and the mention of using the Hornady 160 grain round nosed bullet.
I was wondering whether anyone has loaded this bullet in the .260 Remington and if so, with which powder and actual results ?

It's an interesting bullet and has an excellent 'knock down' bullet in the field. Myself and friends have used it .243, 6.5x55 & 6.5x54MSch.
Flies rather like a brick, so not good for longer range shots, but packs a good wallop with a strike at max 120yds.
Personally, I haven't used the bullet at a greater range than 80yds or so, but I'd say it's certainly worth giving it a try....at £40 a box of 100, it's no great hit on the wallet.

I use these in my 6.5x55 with H4831. They spit out at a pedestrian 2485fps but are great on my Whitetail out to 200yds or so.

I have been watching with interest the thread on the 6.5x54MS and the mention of using the Hornady 160 grain round nosed bullet.
I was wondering whether anyone has loaded this bullet in the .260 Remington and if so, with which powder and actual results ?
It may be a touch too long for the .260 depending on how the chamber is cut; by that I mean you end up with so much bullet in the case there is no room for a decent charge.
There is also the twist rate to consider, it's a long beast of a bullet with a lot of gilding surface.

In mine I found the 140gr to be on the upper end of usable in terms of length.

6.5x55 in contrast are typically cut with longer throats.

There is a canadian forum with a comprehensive 6.5mm bullet test - search on here may turn it up - and the Lapua Mega scored phenomenally well and it has a similar profile.

It may be a touch too long for the .260 depending on how the chamber is cut; by that I mean you end up with so much bullet in the case there is no room for a decent charge.
There is also the twist rate to consider, it's a long beast of a bullet with a lot of gilding surface.

In mine I found the 140gr to be on the upper end of usable in terms of length.

6.5x55 in contrast are typically cut with longer throats.

There is a canadian forum with a comprehensive 6.5mm bullet test - search on here may turn it up - and the Lapua Mega scored phenomenally well and it has a similar profile.
You have jogged my memory thanks. I recall that when ordering the new barrel, James asked me which bullet I would be most likely to use. As I specified 120 grain, I suspect that the length of the 160 grain may well be a no-go for my rifle. I must ask James.

The 160gr RN (1.257" long) wont be much longer than a 120gr spitzer. It should stabilise fine in your barrel.

Last edited:
The 160gr RN (1.257" long) wont be much longer than a 120gr spritzer. It should stabilise fine in your barrel.
It's not so much the length as the bearing surface but the only way to know is to try, assuming you can stuff it in there :D

It's not so much the length as the bearing surface but the only way to know is to try, assuming you can stuff it in there :D

There's Hodgdon Load data with a 2.86" OAL. If it doesn't fit on the magazine or chamber he can always seat it deeper.

Back