Karcher problem.

RED-DOT

My Karcher HDS pressure washer is achieving full pressure but when the trigger is pressed the motor doesn't hold flow. Anyone know what is sticking? It is as new but 10 years old. A service wouldn't go amiss so does anyone know a good CHEAP repairer near me?

My cheapy pressure washer suddenly wouldn't stop pumping when the trigger was released, a new lance solved the problem.

Might be cavitation in the water in the hosepipe leading to the washer, perhaps? Try straightening out every kink and turn in the pipe and get the water running through smoothly before connecting to the washer.
My Karcher washer does it from time to time too, and this is usually the cause.

It has a header tank feeding the pump by gravity and it is full and controlled by a ball valve like your WC.

Is the pump running and if so what pressure is on the gauge? If you have no pressure and the pump is running you could have a problem with the unloader valve or the plungers in the pump.
You could also have a worn nozzle or a blocked nozzle.

Had the same problem here when feeding from a header tank,

we had to have a tap fitted at the feed point to the house as the pressure from the tank was not good enough,

Karcher has long gone and have a stihl washer now that works well but not as well as the Karcher did,

bob.

Had the same problem here when feeding from a header tank,

we had to have a tap fitted at the feed point to the house as the pressure from the tank was not good enough,

Karcher has long gone and have a stihl washer now that works well but not as well as the Karcher did,

bob.

Probably you're right Bob - not enough flow of water coming down from the header tank to satisfy the pull of the pump.
Another time mine conked out with similar symptoms it turned out to be caused by an extruded slug that the pump had been doing it's best to suck through the filter!

Pressure washers are meant to be gravity fed. They are not best suited to being tap fed. Assuming the header tank is clean and the pipe is not caked in scale, then it should be fine.
Too much inlet pressure from mains directly to a pump can prevent the pump building pressure.

Is it stood how it should be? Some are designed to work upright, and others need to be lying flat. Could be air in the pump. Get a decent pressure water supply on it and purge it through.
The more modern ones even suck their own water in so that they can be used from a water butt.
MS

We had a problem of no pressure though our cheap on in the spring turned out to be some small animal had decided to store it's stash in the inlet hose totally blocking the gauze.

he did write a song called stay clean .....must have been about power washers though can't think what else you would stay clean of :eek:

Back