Mod and chrony

Tom D

Where I test my loads the ground drops away from my shooting position so positioning the chrony away from the rifle is a pita. As my rifles have moderators I test with these on to mimic field conditions. I wondered if there was any need to position the chrony so far away when shooting thru a suppressor, since it ought to 'catch' any debris and flash? I was thinking of conducting a test to see but then I thought maybe someone else has tried this... I get little enough time behind the gun as it is so if anyone knows whether is possible to get accurate readings from a closely placed chrony with a moderator please let me know it will save me some valuable shooting time..
Thanks

Tom

Tom. Have you tried one of these (MagnetoSpeed)? Regards JCS

GAT%20Rifles%20260%20Rem%20%2B%20MagnetoSpeed.jpg

Where I test my loads the ground drops away from my shooting position so positioning the chrony away from the rifle is a pita. As my rifles have moderators I test with these on to mimic field conditions. I wondered if there was any need to position the chrony so far away when shooting thru a suppressor, since it ought to 'catch' any debris and flash? I was thinking of conducting a test to see but then I thought maybe someone else has tried this... I get little enough time behind the gun as it is so if anyone knows whether is possible to get accurate readings from a closely placed chrony with a moderator please let me know it will save me some valuable shooting time..
Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom

I usually have the same problem. I just put my F1 chrony down on the ground in front of the rifle (maybe 0.5m in front of muzzle) sans screens etc. Works perfectly - give it a try. I use a moderator too.

Absolutely no need for the expensive muzzle mounted ones IMO.

Cheers,

Rory

If you want to move your chrono closer you could easily fit a blast screen in front of it to protect the delicate bits. Polycarbonate sheet works well it's transparent, easy to cut & can be bent with heat if needed. I have done this for protecting my Chrony from muzzle loader blast / wads with success.

Ian

My understanding is that small particles in the blast can effect the result giving false readings and a bigger ES, The mod ought to be catching these so like you say I think i'll try it. I have heard of the magneto mounted ones but i'm loathed to spend more. if I was buying a crony though thats what I'd go for..

My understanding is that small particles in the blast can effect the result giving false readings and a bigger ES, The mod ought to be catching these so like you say I think i'll try it. I have heard of the magneto mounted ones but i'm loathed to spend more. if I was buying a crony though thats what I'd go for..

doesnt catch smoke
this can be seen several feet in front of the muzzle with or without mod
optical chronographs can be affected by that

magnetospeed at muzzle is the best option

Just read some reviews, it does look good! so simple and compact. Anyone compared results with another crony to see the difference? or anyone got any good / bad experiences with the magneto speed.

Just read some reviews, it does look good! so simple and compact. Anyone compared results with another crony to see the difference? or anyone got any good / bad experiences with the magneto speed.

Yes, I used to use a pro-chrono digital until I replaced it with a magnetospeed sporter, the results are the same

Back