German tradition

Muntiacus

Whats the correct way of doing the weidman's heil, the leaf in the hat and deers mouth? With the correct terminology ect?

Deer or boar is on the deck. If its a male you give it the letzter biss (oak, alder or pine twig in the mouth), place your innenbesitznahmebruch (ownership branch) on the carcase (pointing in the right direction) and wait for the forrester to arrive. He arrives and congratulates you (gratulieren geben) on your successful shot saying waidmannsheil and shaking your hand firmly. You return the handshake saying waidmannsdank. The forrester should at the same time present you with the sprig for your hat band. The sprig is placed in the left side of your hat. If a dog has had to be used to track and find the beast, a sprig is also given to the dog handler. This is offered to him/her placed diagonally over the blade of the knife or hanger, I'm not sure at this point if the dog handler gets a waidmannsheil, or a waidmannsdank.
If the beast was shot on a formal driven day the sprigs for the hunters' hats are given out at the streckelegen by the jagdleiter (hunt leader/shoot captain). You will be called forward by name, and it will be announced what you have shot to earn your sprig. You go out in front of everyone, shake the jagdleiter's hand and as he gives you the sprig he will say waidmanns heil and you reply with waidmannsdank.
Go on, ask me another.:D

Pretty good Harry but thats not what he asked . Fact being Muntiacus doesn't know what he's asking about either .

Last edited:
It has a bit more class than ,
" OOOOOHH! YA F*********IN BEAUTY"! :doh:

" YA JAMMY BAS"""""D"!

"IS ZAT WHER YA AIMED AT "?

Last edited:
Whats the correct way of doing the weidman's heil, the leaf in the hat and deers mouth? With the correct terminology ect?

Oh contraire shippers. I think that's exactly what he asked.:D

Since you were within the right area Harry here is the correct definition of the information that you tried to pass on, from one who lived stalked and shot in Germany for many years not on the military side of things either , this is something that takes years to learn there is a huge rank system among the German hunter which you must follow very closely tradition is everything .

The Waidmannsheil -Waidmannsdank are greeting between hunters when they meet or on a successful shot the word Waidmannsheil is used as a greeting and Weidmannsdank as the reply the word Gratulieren (congratulations) is also used .

The (Branch signs) or Bruchzeichen are used in many forms to show areas of interest of danger which can be of pine spruce fir oak alder .

The most important are the Hauptbruch (Main Branch) which they peel the bark from and hang or lay on the ground indicating something took place at that place .

(Shot Branch) Anschussbruch is stuck into the ground where the animal was standing when it was shot .

The (Ownership branch) Inbesitznahmebruch is a branch which is placed on the shot animal which indicates a legal shot the indication is the broken end toward the head for a male and towards the tail for a female the animal is always laid on its right hand side .

The (last bite) is a branch which is crossed and placed in the animals mouth only in the males of Deer, Sheep cloven footed animals .

The (Hunters Branch) Schutzenbruch . is used after a successful shot where the branch is dipped into the blood of animal males only ,the blood is spread on the blade of the knife or hat of the shoot host ,for that day the word Waidmannsheil is then use by the days guests in return the answer Weidmannsdank is used that branch is placed on the hat band rim on the left hand side .

The same applies to the dog handler who's dog finds a wounded animal the same branch passed over and used in the same way .

(Laying the bag out) Streckelegen .Game is laid out on its right side with a rank system red deer bing first fallow ,boar roe fox hare pheasant and other game bird .it is all laid out on a bed of branches the shooters that there respectful position in rank while the last horn of the day is blown .

While the bag is laid out you must only walk around the bag never stepping across, any of the animals when it laid out it is always, fur before feather.

There is hundreds of hunting terminology Weidmannssprache it took me two years ,to even attempt the Jadgschein course you must know all the signs ,the signal horns, the animals from silhouettes birds the list goes on and on the level one couldn't even pass for there deer part of the course .

Widows son,
Dead on, also do not forget if you shot the most quarry on the day you are declared jagdkönig for the day and that puts you up for the round of schnapps in the wirtshause after the hunt.
I am still working on all the details of the "bruch".
The Jagdschein course was the best educational course based around hunting that I have ever done, I would say to anyone contemplating doing it to go ahead and it will rocket your self esteem if you do pass the exams.
The Jägersprache is also called Jägerlatein (hunters latin) by non hunters as it is similar to how cockney is percieved in the UK.
Martin

no matter how hard I wipe I always seem to get skid marks on white boxer shorts, any ideas on how to stop this?

Get some green Loden ones, and use a Wischbruch.

More seriously, and speaking as a half-German, ought we not to consider ourselves richly blessed in this United Kingdom that formal training is optional, and that the formality or otherwise of our behaviour when shooting/stalking is largely up to us and our circumstances at the time, rather than the subject of mandatory national examinations?

The only times I've heard the term 'Jaegerlatein' used, it has been used to mean exaggerated yarns; apparently such as non-Jaeger suppose one might hear from Jaeger concerning their exploits in forest and on the heath.
'Fisherman's tale', in English, I suppose.

Last edited:
Thanks, WS for the more in depth explanation. I'm just glad that I didn't get anything wrong. It's been about 10 years since my last outing in Germany, and it's amazing how quickly you forget the bits of tradition and terminology.
I shot for only about 5 years over there, and was very impressed with the regard German hunters have for their traditions and their quarry, as 2434me said, it certainly beats the post shot antics displayed by some shooters over here who seem to have adopted the "You-Tube" aproach of high 5's, backslapping and profanity, all accompanied with a chorus of "yehaaa".
Also, as Dalua says, we are very fortunate in the UK not to be subject to national exams in order to do this thing that we love. I have a feeling that our two main organisations, though, would secretly love to see mandatory examinations introduced in order that they could get their hands on another money making "train set".:-|

Back