Sako 6.5X55

jason hunter

Ok all ive picked up the new rifle today sights on all i want to know is what you all think is the best way to break it in. I have never done this with my other rifles so a new one for me also what factory ammo do you recommend ive looked at reloading but for what it will cost me to set up its a lot factory ammo any thoughts

Jason:cool:

Jason,

There are various different theories about running in. Some say the barrel will already have been fired at the factory and don't run in. Others go through a strict routine.

I took the view that for the cost of a box of 20 rounds I wouldn't take the risk of spoiling a rifle that I'd spent a lot of cash on. I did as recommended by Mike Norris at a lecture he gave to our rifle club, as follows;

6 x single shots, cleaned barrel after each one;

3 x three shot groups, cleaned barrel after each group;

1 x five shot group, clean barrel.

I used Privi Partisans to run in - £11 a box when I last bought them. I switched to Federal soft points after.

Enjoy.

Cheers,

Bob

Jason

I picked up my new 308 last week and i was thinking the same as you, running in etc etc , and in truth i think its a load of b@llocks, i bought ppu cheap ammo 150 grain sp for £10 for 20 :cool:.

once it was zeroed my next three shots where all in a 5p @ 100 yards with £10 ammo:D, do you need anymore than that to kill a deer humanely;).

PUT ROUND IN, FIRE ,TAKE IT OUT ,PUT NEXT ONE IN ,FIRE AND SO ON then clean as normal.

ATB
Dave

Guys,

As I have previously stated, I picked up a rifle one week before a trip to Africa.

Chuck Hawks gave advice as to zeroing and then ignore breaking in.

Hunters are different from target shooters. Rifle "makers" are in pursuit of perfection.

Stan

Thank you

I will do as i always do and just go and zero it never had any problems with the other rifles but with the price of them now days just wondered if it was necessary to shoot it in.
Bob i'm going down to Mike Dickinson's Tuesday night if you going to be around will be there around 18:30.

Jason

PS that new ground i just picked up in Yorkshire got a few nice bucks on and it runs in between the 2 other farms i shoot on:D

Back