Ruger M77 MkII .243 What ammo does yours like?

Tackleberry270

Despite their reputation I decided to give the ruger a run for its money. I got a complete second hand set up at a very good price. The rifle is in mint condition and it has Kahles glass on the top. The 2.5 inch spread I got at 100m from Norma 100gr was a little disappointing though not a complete surprise but before I start working up the handloads I want to find factory ammo that shoots a half decent group.

I have a good amount of experience so it has had a thorough check over before firing (the quirky bedding screws and all the other mounts etc..).

I have heard all the comments before from folk who don't like the M77s so I am just looking for some advice from those of you who have found a winning recipe!

Thanks.

I gave one away to a friend who couldnt afford much and mine shot well with RWS 105g and Winchester 95g ballistic tips.

I've got the lightweight m77 mkII in .243 with a 19" inch slim barrel. I've always been very happy with it shooting federal premium ballistic tips, it would print tight enough groups (around an inch if I remember right) if I let the barrel cool enough. Then I couldn't get hold of federal locally so switched to winchester silver tips (moly coat). It hated these! first shot of any group would be on but then you'd be up to 3-4" groups. I recently switched to remington corelokt 100gn and Im back into acceptable territory.

Now I know there is probably all sorts of different possible reasons for this and might not just be the ammo (lightweight barrel, heavy PES moderator to name but two) but Im not going back to winchesters for my sanity sake!

cheers
Andy

Tried some Federal powershok 100 grain ammo through it yesterday. The first three round group was so tight I could barely make out the individual holes. The second group was a fraction over an inch (barrel was left to cool for a while) and the third group at 200m was just over 2 inches. Happy to move on to handloads now!

Hello I think the reputation is unjust!
Both myself and my father use Ruger M77's in .243, dads is a mk1 mine a mk2 we both have had no probs. with factory (winchester or remington 100grs.) or home loads!
100gr. speer bt over 34.5grs. of H4895 remington 9 1/2 primer
95gr nosler silver tip over 38grs. of H380 OAL. 2.700 federal primer
95gr Hornady SST over 37grs. of H380 OAL. 2.650 federal primer
85gr sierra game king over 36.5grs. of H4895 OAL 2.700 federal primer
55gr nosler balistic tip over 44.5grs. of H4895 OAL 2.655 federal primer
I have tried 105gr. bullets but never really got on with them!
All of these will shoot under an inch at 100 yrds.
I use remington winchester federal and sako brass all fire formed and neak size only.

None of these loads show any signs of pressure I do like to run hot loads but that said none of the target species have ever argued with them provided i do my bit!

Hope this helps!
Martin

Last edited:
Hello I think the reputation is unjust!
Both myself and my father use Ruger M77's in .243, dads is a mk1 mine a mk2 we both have had no probs. with factory (winchester or remington 100grs.) or home loads!
100gr. speer bt over 34.5grs. of H4895 remington 9 1/2 primer
95gr nosler silver tip over 38grs. of H380 OAL. 2.700 federal primer
95gr Hornady SST over 37grs. of H380 OAL. 2.650 federal primer
85gr sierra game king over 36.5grs. of H4895 OAL 2.700 federal primer
55gr nosler balistic tip over 44.5grs. of H4895 OAL 2.655 federal primer
I have tried 105gr. bullets but never really got on with them!
All of these will shoot under an inch at 100 yrds.
I use remington winchester federal and sako brass all fire formed and neak size only.

None of these loads show any signs of pressure I do like to run hot loads but that said none of the target species have ever argued with them provided i do my bit!

Hope this helps!
Martin

Thanks for this. I might try working up a load with SSTs as I have some H380 knocking about. Why did you choose a speer 100gr instead of something like a game king?

.......also have you left your barrel bedded on the stock as they come from the factory or have you freefloated it?

Last edited:
Hi Tackleberry
I know the feeling LOL! I have a M77 MK 2 and had the same with finding a good round. I shoot federal 100 gr soft nose Power shock (the cheap ones) and get sub MOA groupings at 100 meters and the same goes for 75 gr Remington accutips. Five shots is the limit then the barrel gets to hot. My mate has the same rifle and his one like the 85 gr Federal HPBT vital shock. I tried 100 gr SST and they were spread all over the target with a minimum of 10 cm between LOL. Do you have the Stainless Steel one?
ATB Werner

Hi Tackleberry
I know the feeling LOL! I have a M77 MK 2 and had the same with finding a good round. I shoot federal 100 gr soft nose Power shock (the cheap ones) and get sub MOA groupings at 100 meters and the same goes for 75 gr Remington accutips. Five shots is the limit then the barrel gets to hot. My mate has the same rifle and his one like the 85 gr Federal HPBT vital shock. I tried 100 gr SST and they were spread all over the target with a minimum of 10 cm between LOL. Do you have the Stainless Steel one?
ATB Werner

Mine is the standard blued barrel.

Despite their reputation I decided to give the ruger a run for its money. I got a complete second hand set up at a very good price. The rifle is in mint condition and it has Kahles glass on the top. The 2.5 inch spread I got at 100m from Norma 100gr was a little disappointing though not a complete surprise but before I start working up the handloads I want to find factory ammo that shoots a half decent group.

I have a good amount of experience so it has had a thorough check over before firing (the quirky bedding screws and all the other mounts etc..).

I have heard all the comments before from folk who don't like the M77s so I am just looking for some advice from those of you who have found a winning recipe!

Thanks.

Mine like Winchester 100 grain power point. Shoots one inch at 100yds

Back