158g swc (jacketed) 38/357 mag for winchester legacy

samIOW

Hello,

Just wondered if anybody could help . I am trying get some of the above. I have tried Tim Hannams but they are out of stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sam.

ps I have also tried another site.

You could try Andy Allwood. I think he is called "All stocks and mouldings" or something like that.

Are you asking about bullets or cartridges? If bullets, expanding 0.357" jacketed, or FMJ / TMJ types suitable for range use? (I'm also a bit puzzled about 'jacketed SWC', as semi-wadcutters are normally cast or swaged lead construction.)

Hannams used to sell various types / makes of pistol bullet that went under various descriptions depending on who packaged and sold them. These were often called TMJs (Total Metal Jacket) often with a shape descriptor added such as 'FP' for Flat Point (to allow use in levergun tubular magazines). This type aren't true jacketed bullets as they were manufactured by swaging a soft-lead core then electroplating them with an ultra-thin but very consistent thickness copper covering. The original maker of this type was Berry's Manufacturing in the USA, and Hannams had them for some years, later I think the company (Hannams that is) changed to a South African supplier.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-q58-c58-Bullets.aspx

Are you asking about bullets or cartridges? If bullets, expanding 0.357" jacketed, or FMJ / TMJ types suitable for range use? (I'm also a bit puzzled about 'jacketed SWC', as semi-wadcutters are normally cast or swaged lead construction.)

Hannams used to sell various types / makes of pistol bullet that went under various descriptions depending on who packaged and sold them. These were often called TMJs (Total Metal Jacket) often with a shape descriptor added such as 'FP' for Flat Point (to allow use in levergun tubular magazines). This type aren't true jacketed bullets as they were manufactured by swaging a soft-lead core then electroplating them with an ultra-thin but very consistent thickness copper covering. The original maker of this type was Berry's Manufacturing in the USA, and Hannams had them for some years, later I think the company (Hannams that is) changed to a South African supplier.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/products-q58-c58-Bullets.aspx

Hello Laurie and everybody,

That makes two of us being confused? I have only just started to reload, Hence the cry for help regards, 158g bullet,, I was told not to use lead but to get the SWC jacketed option. I think he meant to say RNFP Jacketed... Peter lawman has the SWC but not jacketed.

Thanks for all your help though and patience.

Regards,

Sam

Ah .... bullets. I may be able to help you. I'll send a PM.

With a Legacy 94, commercial cast-lead bullets should work OK too though as long as you don't want full-house 357 Magnum rifle velocities. Assuming you're gallery rifle shooting at 25 and/or 50M, mild lead bullet loads at 1,100-1,200 fps work fine and are very economical.

The advice about using jacketed bullets was normally applied to Marlin 94s back in the days when that company used a form of rifling called 'Microgroove'. It used a very large number (over 20 in some calibres) of shallow grooves instead of the normal practice of four deep ones. Microgroove rifles shot jacketed bullets very well indeed, but when the explosion of interest in modern leverguns took place in the 80s/90s, most users wanted to be able to load cheap lead projectiles. Marlin stuck to Microgroove for its .22LR Model 39 and the budget .30-30 and .35 Rem Model 336 deer rifles, but moved to 'Ballard' deep groove rifling years ago for everything else. So far as I know, Winchester 94s have never had any issues in this regard and many people use lead bullets.

Certainly jacketed or 'plated' bullets do remove any issues about lead deposits in the barrel throat affecting accuracy and make them easier to clean. The 'plated' type is fairly soft and isn't meant to be driven really fast. Traditional gilding metal jacketed models can be driven as fast as the 357 can get them out of a carbine or rifle length barrel. Personally, I think they're much less pleasant to shoot than light loads (on target ranges at any rate) because of the recoil factor in these very light rifles. So, it depends on what uses you have in mind for the rifle.

The Winchester 158-gr JSP bullets work great in a .357 rifle. You will be shocked at how they will shoot completely through a big deer.

If this is for a Marlin for Gallery Rifle the rest of the country uses TC (truncated cone) in hard cast lead. I have shot gazillions through my 1894C.

Microgroove rifling was about for a short while and most clubs will tell you to avoid them like Ebola. Have you bought one?

I use Jacketed bullets only for .357 when I am top end loading them for Long Range Carbine.

The Winchester 158-gr JSP bullets work great in a .357 rifle. You will be shocked at how they will shoot completely through a big deer.

That may be, but they aren't allowed in the UK ...... AFAIK.

1) These aren't high velocity, so don't meet the velocity/energy requirements under our Deer Acts.

2) Jacketed 'semi-wadcutters' have exposed lead noses, so are prohibited as 'expanding'. Our laws are particularly harsh on the possession of pistol bullets, as there's no valid quarry use for them. The same SWC flat-nose profile in FMJ is legal for target range use (only).

That may be, but they aren't allowed in the UK ...... AFAIK.

1) These aren't high velocity, so don't meet the velocity/energy requirements under our Deer Acts.

2) Jacketed 'semi-wadcutters' have exposed lead noses, so are prohibited as 'expanding'. Our laws are particularly harsh on the possession of pistol bullets, as there's no valid quarry use for them. The same SWC flat-nose profile in FMJ is legal for target range use (only).

Just to quantify My request for help was for range work only NOT Game.

Back