First round of sporting clays

Finally stopped procrastinating tonight and went along to the first shoot of the year at a local clay club. I was a little apprehensive, being a newcomer by myself and very inexperienced except for a couple of lessons what feels like a long time ago.
They were a very welcoming bunch, good natured banter and a few good tips were forthcoming from the lads who took me under their wing to go around with them. A couple of very good shots, too!
My final score was a somewhat measly 14/50, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself and hit all but 2 of the 10 target types. I can only get better next week!

Simon
Glad you enjoyed your experience on your first round of clays
go back next week to hit a few more and improve on what you've done
I'm partial to a few clays myself :D
Regards pete

Simon
Glad you enjoyed your experience on your first round of clays
go back next week to hit a few more and improve on what you've done
I'm partial to a few clays myself :D
Regards pete

Hi Pete,
Rumour has it you're not half bad at it ;)
I'll definitely go back next week and see what I can do, there's only one way to go from the bottom!

its a good start and has been said keep going back. Try to relax you will shoot better that way. By the way its addictive

I took my scatter guns out a few weeks ago (only for the SGC cos its only £10 with the FAC) to a local shoot with a mate was a lot of fun 20 ex 50

was the only person there with a SxS and took my sxs 10 bore for fun on a few stations

have found another very close shoot so will hope to do 1-2 a month

Glad you enjoyed it - I would describe as more of an addiction myself. Love it but have sort of hit a wall on the score. I can acquit myself well with nearly all the target types except the "falling incoming" (often called a setting teal or something like that).

Hi Simon, do persevere with your clay shooting, like all sports it only starts to get a bit testy at the higher levels on the way to that you will experience the banter and the frustrations but it is a practice practice situation until you can envisage your lead and timing even as you watch the target in the queue.......and still miss!

Cootmeurer, a falling target is always a challenge as by definition, like our bullet projectiles, they are slowing from the moment they leave the trap arm. With a roosting/landing simulated target the clay is actually accelerating as Mr Newton's theory prevails, if you try and chase these it can be very frustrating. It might be worth a try (cheat?) at ambushing them, do this by picking a fixed point on the targets drop line and don't move the gun and shoot into thin air and let the target drop into your shot. An estimate of the distance a shot velocity will give you an idea of the calculated distance but the ability to measure that accurately will vary on your own perception of the target and the fit of your own gun and the at it is configured. hope this helps and go and break some!

Well, I went back as promised, and scored an altogether more respectable 22... 9 of which I scored on the same stand, amazing both myself and my fellow shooters (none of whom matched my score on that stand!)
I also hit a few "intimidating" birds on the other four stands, so I'm well pleased :D

Back