Foxes

Munty1

Took my new Remy 700 220 swift (with old 8X56 Swarovski on top) out last night for the first time. Burnt the old 22.250 out over 17yrs. Gave two ‘the good news’. Only saw 4, is it just me or are there not many foxes about this year?

It's just you, definately ;) We are innundated with the blighters here in deepest Worcs.

ft

I was out three nights last week only saw one fox on all three occasions, as soon as the light was on him it was gone like a long dog, going to have to sit up for that one, anyway back to the topic no not seeing so many foxs, but I am sure there afe plenty out there.
NeverMind getting the deer count done as well wile there is plenty of stubble to drive on.

Anthony

More than our fair share here in Northants. Had 33 in the past two weeks over approx 3000 acres.

my fox cull is down on last year but i must admit i have'nt been out as much as i should have been.

Dunno about you guys,but down here in kent its been a great year for foxes, i sat in an orchard a few weeks back and shot 3 with the .22 rimfire in under 20mins,they were feeding on cherries believe it or not, i've since been back to the same spot and over three visits shot another 5 with the .243, mind you we have a well known fox friendly charity nearby and i recon they're letting the mended ones loose for me to play with? A keeper mate of mine recons he's seen foxes being released from the back of a van on his patch which is very close to one of the largest animal charity hospitals in the area, anybody else think this happens?

TikkaT3

Dunno about you guys,but down here in kent its been a great year for foxes, i sat in an orchard a few weeks back and shot 3 with the .22 rimfire in under 20mins,they were feeding on cherries believe it or not,

TikkaT3

Do believe it, the young fox cubs eat a lot of fruit in their diet in the early days or growing up.

Definitly less around in my part of North Yorkshire, Im wondering if the hard winter we got had any effect on them.

I am well down on the numbers i usually shoot and am just not seeing them dawn, dusk or dark.

Well our numbers are balistic dozens of the blighters.
Last friday night in NTH yorks shot 9 missed 1 and saw another 8 over 2,000 acres.
My shoot in e.yorks had 38 since july.(not just me but shoot helpers as well).
We also had 4 litters in the spring and thats on 1,100 acres.
On top of this clients have taken 74 foxes whilst out stalking. We had 23 all last year.
Should call it yorkshire fox shooting . com LOL

Last edited:
I have found that this year areas that I shot very hard over the winter through to spring like the farm at home, I have hardly seen a fox since March maybe shot 3 - 5 and i go out at least twice a week don't even see them...

However on a farm near by where I hardly shot any over the winter there are plenty, well a lot less now if you recall my previous posts a few months back about a Vixen taking a puppy from a Kitchen...

Therefore I believe that the numbers year on year will have a lot to do with how many you take out in winter before they cub in the spring, I know it sounds simple but must have a major effect on their numbers...

Alex

On Tues eve we saw 10, shot one and missed one. Last night saw 2.

In parts of our patch under control but on some neighbours ground alive. Week last Thursday saw 5 on about 100acres, shot 3, vv close to a built up area. Not seen that many dead on the road of late.

Will all change when maize comes off in a couple of weeks.

D

Back