Pac heron

John Gryphon

Euro carp are a real problem in Aus waterways..I was so happy to see this Pacific heron spear right through the baaastard!

pac%205_zpsq07boggf.jpg

No harm to the water, but they are a dominate species and will utilise food source that indigenous fish need.
But no matter what we do to them they survive, kill all you can find and you just end up with fewer but larger specimens.
Carp will take over the world given even half a chance, and don't rule out river estuaries either.
Nice pic as well :thumb:

Neil. :)

plus they will thrive in near polluted / stagnant water, take a look at the ebro in spain ,only catfish and carp left in it,

Carp really do damage our waterways..they turn clean into muddy soup and undermine river banks with their feeding actions and cause many trees to topple into the water..they are nothing but scum here in Aussie.Its the sheer numbers in their millions that has been the problem..worse than rabbits!

Muddy coloured water is doing no harm to the river, as for undercutting banks, carp don't eat tree roots.
Australia as a whole may hate carp, but they didn't arrive naturally so you can only blame yourselves.
All you need to do to thin them out is find a predator that loves eating them, and I"m pretty sure your
not short of suitable predators.

Muddy coloured water is doing no harm to the river, as for undercutting banks, carp don't eat tree roots.
Australia as a whole may hate carp, but they didn't arrive naturally so you can only blame yourselves.
All you need to do to thin them out is find a predator that loves eating them, and I"m pretty sure your
not short of suitable predators.

Sorry old mate..Carp by their sucking/feeding actions have been proven to be detrimental to the root system of OUR trees in the inland river systems. Namely the Murray/Darling and their tributaries.

We dont blame "ourselves" either we blame the ferking clowns and environmental terrorists that brought them in..more than likely by one of our European brethren.

Re this line "All you need to do to thin them out is find a predator that loves eating them"

If you were well versed in Australia and its ecological system and non indigenous pest species you would know what effect Euro Carp have had on Australia..our land evolved without this fish and thus it simply has taken over in numbers that you are obviously not aware of.

It is worth having a read of the article in this link..please note this line Q: A recent NSW Rivers Survey found that carp represent more than 90% of fish biomass in some rivers and have reached densities of up to one fish per square metre of water surface. "

The Murray River alone is around 1500 miles long..it is a very wide river too....thats a lot of surface...thats a lot of carp!

Far far more than the unlearned can imagine!

http://www.feral.org.au/pest-species/carp/

Dont get me started on cane toads/euro wasps/indian mynah`s etc etc!

Last edited:
Evening john

As you well know this is I am afraid just another species that is causing problems on more than one continent, in fact quite a number of fish species that have been introduced on the pretense of an environmental or conservation solution are causing severe problems, from those you are experiencing to extinction of native species, Asian Carp, Snake heads, Nile Perch to name a few, other aquatic species from crayfish to mussels bring their own yet unknown problems.

A different thought process but the same issues are to be found across the world from snakes in Guam to the numerous non natives you guys have, it's an issue that imo is we have no answer to, the unknown cumulative problems that will come from this miss management and gross negligence do not appear on any agenda that as far as I know are not main stream and they should be, even the apparent solutions to these problems eg 1080 causes their own issues...it's fubar.

Back