Fake Leupold ???

P3T3R

My dad has just brought a second hand ruger m77 and it came with a leupold mark 4 3.5-10x50 M1 illuminated.

After searching the web I am unable to find a leupold mark 4 3.5-10x50 all of the ones I have found have an objective of 40. Also I looked on leupold's website and they have a counterfeit page and some of the things match up. Another thing is we were at the range today and when I looked through the scope it just did not seem to be as clear as other scopes, this is what made me think something was wrong.

If possible can you post some pictures of your genuine mark 4's please or email me the pics.

I will try and get some pictures soon although I don't know when I'll see it next.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid that moody Leupolds have been around for a long time. They are not much like the real thing and anyone in the guntrade should be able to tell the difference at a glance. Unless your Dad got the package at such a good price that the value of the scope is irrelevant, he should take it straight back to the seller. These scopes are worthless and usually either go for £20 on ebay or are withdrawn once the ebay administrators are made aware that they are bent. JC

there are more fake scopes on e bay than real ones, you have to be mad to buy any scope of there,

I've had two fakes off ebay, one I sent back and reported and the other does nicely on the rimfire since it was cheap anyway but reported and got a refund.... By a fake, report it, get refunded and keep the scope!

there are more fake scopes on e bay than real ones, you have to be mad to buy any scope of there,

I must be mad then i have bought a1 zeiss binos and a zeiss scope from the usa also a schmidt from ireland.
I sold my lecia bino and the schmidt on there which went to australia.
Never had a bad do yet.
Don't all leupolds have the "gold ring"??

If it's got white writing it's not a Leupold

The magnification and objective size should be etched onto the tube in black

After some more trawling round on the web I have come to the conclusion that it must be a fake, understandable now why the rifle would not zero very well. Also the serial no. 8888sc.

are the markings on the scope etched in black or silver ?
The fake one I seen were in silver but real leupolds should be etched in black.
I know 2 guys who bought fakes. one from ebay and the other from a market stall.

The problem is due to greed a lot of manufacturers are actually having their bits made in China and the Chinese being Chinese just continue to make more of them and sell them claiming to be the genuine article which is some ways I suppose they are. trouble is that Chinese don't seem to care if they are good or bad just ship them all. Not everything made in China is junk................................ Like the pun?

It would appear the greed of western manufacturers dictates the prices and they want them as low as is possible to pump up their profits. Leupold cannot say made in USA anymore as too much of their content is made in the far east.

EDIT:- Leupold's optics IMHO have only been a bit above passable and not good or outstanding anyway.

EDIT:- Leupold's optics IMHO have only been a bit above passable and not good or outstanding anyway.

Tell that to the 4.5-14x50 that is on my estate rifle that has shot 1416 deer in the last three seasons and has had the turret caps off about four times during that period! JC

Tell that to the 4.5-14x50 that is on my estate rifle that has shot 1416 deer in the last three seasons and has had the turret caps off about four times during that period! JC

Knew there would be one :D Optically Leupolds are passable that's it. Sorry my friend and yes I have two of them.

...in your possession at the moment? Ha ha ha..only kidding Brit..hows your issues going anyhow? hope to see you back in action soon mate.

Hmmm I will have to check, the Vari x 111 is gone as it was on a P-H1200 but I have about a dozen or so scopes here they didn't take.

Back