30-06 Denied

Briarquest

Hi,
a friend of mine who has been out shooting with me several times and has held his shotgun cert for the past 3 years just applied for his FAC. He has his own land and permission to shoot deer and all vermin. A nice parcel of 300 acres.

He applie for a 22lr, a 222 and a 30-06.

Now he has used my 270 and asked me if I were going for another calibre what would I go for I put my case for a 30-06. So he made up his mind to put in for that so he woud not be changing calibres in the near future.

He just had his vissit and they knocked him back on the 30-06 as my 270 is the lrgest calibre he has fired in private hands (he is ex army).

I have never heard anything so crazy. So if I sell my 270 and wan a 30-06 I have to provide evidence that I have actually fired a 30-06?

If this is the criteria, can somebody with a .50cal let him have a shot out of it, I wwill video him and then that opens a world of possibilities!

Ian

was that there actual answer? did they say he could have a 270?
how does anyone apply for a new calibre in that area?

perhaps he should ask them to clarify what they think the difference would be between 270 - 30-06. Its the same bloody cartridge case!

send it back, do not accept it, write directly to the Chief and the Manager of the FLO.
Ask for clarification as to why

Hi,
yes, he is a BASC member and also the British Deer Society. I have just come off the phone with him and wwhere he had applied for his 222 he put all vermin and deer species where legal i.e. CWD, Muntjac and Roe in Scotland.

The enquiry officer told him that 222 is not a large enough calibre to shoot any of those species and scribbled deer off his application. When the FEO told him his 30-06 application would be denied my mate said well if thats the case I will have a 270 (same as me). The FEO says you can't do that because you applied for a 30-06 you cant change it and that there i a massive difference between the two calibres Well in my reloading handbook I can make a 150 grain round perfor the same way.

I have to say I have never had an experience like that in 22 years and as his refferee I am looking forward to the call from the FEO.

I have told him to get straight on the phone to BASC and let them represent him.

Ian

Last edited:
:rofl: brilliant! so they're saying that because he's never fired a .30-06 specifically, he can't have one, but he could have a marginally smaller calibre with the same parent case and which,,reportedly, kicks even more...suss, put these words in order: pot, toss, 's.

edit: don't bother with BASC, you'll waste more time than its worth, just go back to the FLO and submit a revised application for .270, and jobs probably done. the more you challenge them, the more bitter they get.

Last edited:
:rofl: brilliant! so they're saying that because he's never fired a .30-06 specifically, he can't have one, but he could have a marginally smaller calibre with the same parent case and which,,reportedly, kicks even more...suss, put these words in order: pot, toss, 's.

edit: don't bother with BASC, you'll waste more time than its worth, just go back to the FLO and submit a revised application for .270, and jobs probably done. the more you challenge them, the more bitter they get.

If I've got this right your pal is being "talked down"... I would tell him to stick to his proverbial guns (pardon the pun)... and let them make the refusal official. I suspect he might not fail and if he did he'd have an appeal process to use if he wished. As for the comment about .30-06 being massively more gun than .270, what a load of tosh!

Ask the FEO to put your application through "as written"

Remember, FEO stands for firearms enquiry officer and he has no power to say what you can or can't have. His job is to collect information, carry out background checks then submit the application to the Licensing manager for approval.

sounds like to me the feo doesn't know what he is on about. and there for telling your mate no he cant have this.. and cant have that....

i cant believe he said the 222 cant be used for deer ie cwd,munty and roe north of the border. phone basc up and they will take it up with your firearms office.
if they can be bothered

Last edited:
from the advice given from people off here to me was do everything in writing, now because i am fairly new to rifles i put in for a 270 i did my home work on reloading prior to my meetings with the feo so i knew what i was talking about i was told that i wouldnt get the 270 but again by letters i carried on and got it by sticking to what i said. i have since applied for another 270 and a 300 win mag and both where granted again with letters of why they where necessary dont let them change his mind. surely a 270 is capable of doing as much damage as a 30 06 or any other cal and if the land has the correct backstops ect it should be passed accordingly . hope you get it sorted out wayne

Hi phoned BASC and was advised not to fight it and that the advice is for him to do his DSC1 and put in for a variation. I cant even believe he got that advice, i didnt realise that a DSC1 is a requirment in law now.

Ian

Hi phoned BASC and was advised not to fight it and that the advice is for him to do his DSC1 and put in for a variation. I cant even believe he got that advice, i didnt realise that a DSC1 is a requirment in law now.

Ian

It's not but it's a nice little earner for BASC.

Ian

That's the same bulls**t advice I got from BASC when I first applied.... you wouldn't hear George Wallace come out with that crap.

One thing is for certain, he cant keep using mine, I am a left hooker and he is a right. I am trying to gee him up to fight it but like many people appling for the first time he is a little in awe of them.

Ian

My first application for a .308 was knocked back saying that he would review his decision once I had:

Attended and passed the Deer society course one.
Have been shooting with an experienced deer shooter and gained some experience of stalking and handling a rifle of that calibre
Have land that is cleared for .308 calibre, which autherises you to shoot deer.

I wrote back to the Sergeant and enclosed a letter from an experienced professional stalker who I have been out with, which explained that I was fully competent and had shot several deer in his presence. I also included some receipts for bought days plus copies of the emails where I had arranged future dates and my acceptance form for a DSC Level 1 course the following month. I also included a little about myself explaining that I had used a 7.62 rifle for 12 years professionally and that my experience with that calibre had not been questioned in Cyprus, Berlin, Northern Ireland and the Falklands. I also pointed out that etate rifles gave me some difficulty as I am left handed and left handed rifles are generally unavailable.

The letter was very polite and short and to the point I included as a final paragraph:

I would request a timely reply, as I understand that under Schedule 5 of the 1968 Act I only have 21 days from receiving your original letter to lodge an appeal to the Crown Court and Chief Constable.

I received an amended FAC with a .308/7.62 added 6 days later, there is still a condition that the land must be passed though.

My first application for a .308 was knocked back saying that he would review his decision once I had:

Attended and passed the Deer society course one.
Have been shooting with an experienced deer shooter and gained some experience of stalking and handling a rifle of that calibre
Have land that is cleared for .308 calibre, which autherises you to shoot deer.

I wrote back to the Sergeant and enclosed a letter from an experienced professional stalker who I have been out with, which explained that I was fully competent and had shot several deer in his presence. I also included some receipts for bought days plus copies of the emails where I had arranged future dates and my acceptance form for a DSC Level 1 course the following month. I also included a little about myself explaining that I had used a 7.62 rifle for 12 years professionally and that my experience with that calibre had not been questioned in Cyprus, Berlin, Northern Ireland and the Falklands. I also pointed out that etate rifles gave me some difficulty as I am left handed and left handed rifles are generally unavailable.

The letter was very polite and short and to the point I included as a final paragraph:

I would request a timely reply, as I understand that under Schedule 5 of the 1968 Act I only have 21 days from receiving your original letter to lodge an appeal to the Crown Court and Chief Constable.

I received an amended FAC with a .308/7.62 added 6 days later, there is still a condition that the land must be passed though.

well done, sincerely! :tiphat:

I guess the 'left handed' argument is brilliant - even if you're not left handed at all (cheeky!)

Knowing them they would probably put a condition on allowing you to purchase left handed rifles only :rofl:

Back