Just over a year...

SimpleSimon

I was curious, so I had a look just now to see how long I'd been on the SD.
One year and 20 days!
In that short time I've gone from curious newcomer with no experience at all, to a full blown addict, well on my way to having my life taken over (and still not much experience at all).
Aside from the kindness and generosity of several members to whom I owe a great deal, I'd like to congratulate the rest of you on your efforts, accidental or deliberate to convert me fully in that short time frame. With inspiration taken from here, I've even got the wife cracked, and although she has no interest in the actual shooting of deer, she has actually started to look (almost) interested when I talk about stalking. She even said it was a good idea for me to have my own rifle (after months of tactfully drip feeding her the idea). So capitalising on her mistake before she could change her mind, I bought a cabinet off a member and installed it today. My FAC forms are ready to send, just awaiting a letter to vouch for my good reason.
I've built a makeshift gambrel in the cellar (although it's yet to have a carcass on it) and have even sneakily acquired, for free, a second fridge which I am in the process of selling so that I can buy a taller one to hang deer in.
I've even bought a trainee deer dog, cunningly passed off as a pet where the wife was concerned :lol: And as a result, one drawer of our already small freezer is filled with roe feet, little tubs of blood and neat 6x6 squares of skin.
I may not get the most stalking done, but I think if there was a prize for fastest transition to a life-changing obsession I'd definitely be in with a shot (if you'll pardon the pun)

Well done Simon. It looks like you,ve enjoyed not going stalking. Hopefully going stalking will be even better fun. And keep the wife happy with the "cheap" meat. Don't ever add up the cost of stalking, if you do by accident DON'T tell the wife.
I haven't forgot the scope, ill send it down in the next day or two. I have hardly been off the place with so much work to do.
I,m already looking forward to tour next write up.

Well done Simon. It looks like you,ve enjoyed not going stalking. Hopefully going stalking will be even better fun. And keep the wife happy with the "cheap" meat. Don't ever add up the cost of stalking, if you do by accident DON'T tell the wife.
I haven't forgot the scope, ill send it down in the next day or two. I have hardly been off the place with so much work to do.
I,m already looking forward to tour next write up.

Got to keep myself occupied between stalks you see, devil makes work and all that...
No rush for the scope, it's not like there's a rifle here waiting for it. Just had to have a bargain (another one to not add to that totall!) when I saw it and Ait gives me options when I start looking at rifles in the new year.
I've had an impromptu invite to go ferreting on Thursday with a stalk after so that should make for a good write up.

That'll be a .308 then.............

I did consider .308, but in the end I put down .22 (in case of rabbits) then .243 and .270 for deer as there seemed to be plenty around within my type of budget and in all honesty I doubt somebody with my level of experience will notice or appreciate any difference in performance. 270 is probably my top choice as it won't run the risk of being "borderline" on bigger stuff, but it'll come down to.the individual rifles in the end which I go for first.

Back