Daewoo Korando Brakes - Advice please.

FrenchieBoy

I'm after some advice from anyone with experience of working on the brakes on a Daewoo Korando.
I have very recently purchased a Daewoo Korando (1999 2.3 petrol). I am happy with it and it is in pretty good condition all round (Even though it is a bit thirsty on petrol) At least it gets me about on my permissions a heck of a lot better than my old VW Passat Estate used to.
One thing that I have noticed is that occasionally I get a "hot smell" which seems to be coming from the front brake discs (Mainly the near side one). On the few occasions that I notice this "hot smell" if I touch the brake discs the front ones seem to be a bit hotter than I would expect, especially the near side front one. This leads me to believe that the front brake pistons might be sticking now and then. I am planning on putting new brake pads on the front at the same time as I check and make sure that the piston are free.
I have changed brake pads on many different types of motors before but have never worked on a Korando before so is there any set way to go about changing the front pads and is there anything in particular that I should watch out for when doing the brakes on my Korando please?

I ought to add that I am also planning on putting new rear brake pads on in the relatively near future also so that I know I have brakes that can be relied on all round the vehicle so if there are any hints or tips regarding fitting new rear pads too I would appreciate them also.

Many thanks in advance/anticipation guys!

Chances are it has sliding calipers and either the caliper or the pads are sticking on the slides. They need to be cleaned and a bit of copper slip on the slides and shims should help. It may be a piston but check the caliper is free to slide first.

Chances are it has sliding calipers and either the caliper or the pads are sticking on the slides. They need to be cleaned and a bit of copper slip on the slides and shims should help. It may be a piston but check the caliper is free to slide first.
Thanks, I will check that out at the same time as fitting new pads.

Right guys, first of all I appreciate the advice. I checked the slide pins and they were free enough, even so I gave them a good wipe over and then put some copperslip on them. It turned out that the problem was being caused by the nearside piston being a bit sticky so I have cleaned it up and then with the use of a G Clamp I worked the piston in and out a good few times and smeared a little copperslip on it too to make sure that it was no longer sticking.
The front pads were in surprisingly good condition so no need to replace them for a while. Next job on the list will be to check how much meat is left on the rear pads!

Copperslip is non compatable with the hydraulic seals as I found out to my cost a couple of years ago. You need the correct grease for those seals or they will perish. The coppersli is good for the back of the pads and the edges so stop them seizing and of course the slides.

Back