Good Gunsmith in Dumfries and Galloway or thereabouts

esoxecosse

I have a 90's LH Sako M591 .243 and want to get the barrel threaded and maybe some bedding work done on the stock, can any of you guys recommend a very good gunsmith to carry out this work ?
I would prefer to deliver my rifle and pick it up rather than posting hence the area specific question but I don't mind travelling 100 miles or so.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

Cheers

MarkC

Wouldn't give them the custom remmy700, no disrespect to yourself meant, went up their with a mate a couple of months ago, he was looking for a new rifle, was in the shop for nearly an hour and wasn't even given the slightest recognition because the clay pigeon brigade were in, bought a rifle from them in the past but never again, they had very little rifle stock in anyway but the shop was packed with shotguns.
Thanks for your reply though, much appreciated.

Cheers

MarkC

Wouldn't give them the custom remmy700, no disrespect to yourself meant, went up their with a mate a couple of months ago, he was looking for a new rifle, was in the shop for nearly an hour and wasn't even given the slightest recognition because the clay pigeon brigade were in, bought a rifle from them in the past but never again, they had very little rifle stock in anyway but the shop was packed with shotguns.

Cheers

MarkC

I'm really surprised at that . . both Tom and Jim have never been anything other than helpful and obliging when I have been in the shop . .maybe caught them on a bad day mate.

Last edited:
I'm really surprised at that mate . . both Tom and Jim have never been anything other than helpful and obliging when I have been in the shop . .maybe caught them on a bad day mate.

I must have caught them on that same bad day. Not the most welcoming to new shoppers I found.

Denis Groom off here, Ex-Boarder rifles so screw cutting would be no problem for local, if you want to save a bit of money then send it to Jager Sporting Arms again a Trade Member off here.

ATB

Tahr

Cheers

MarkC

WOW I am quite shocked to hear that Jim isn't getting the thumbs up, he has always been very helpful in the past.....just goes to show. Reputation is everything in this game.!!
I hope whoever does it for you...... delivers!!!
ATB
Remmy

Last edited:
yep have had the same experience my self they must have a lot of bad days
God, we must have all been there in the same day then!
would t have been surprised if he had got me to swipe my own card and fill out the books myself ......zero customer service or help.
​feel more valued from checkout staff in tescos

Went over and seen Wallace on Friday, discussed what needed done, barrel threaded and crowned, some bedding and barrel floating work to the stock and slight trigger adjustment, left my rifle for a few hours, done a couple of wee jobs and went back to pick it up.
As mentioned above, Wallace is a true gentleman and to boot an exceptional engineer, he went through everything he had done step by step, the quality of the work he carried out cannot be faulted and I am Uber fussy.
He guarantee's all work he carries out as well which gives peace of mind, and he sourced me a moderator as well via Jackson Rifles.
I'm thinking of getting some work done to my Rimfire as well so will certainly be getting in touch with him soon.

Cheers

MarkC

Back to the top.

Wallace McCrea at Turnright Galloway, did an excellent job screw cutting my barrel, we arrived had a cuppa a chat about what I wanted done and then went for lunch on our return an hour and half later it was done, he showed us around his workshop and house.

A very approachable and friendly guy who is a tool maker and not rifle butcher like some out there..............Highly recommended, I found him through a recommendation on here and checked out his web site. A very enjoyable day out the area he lives is stunning.

Back