Loading cast bullets for 22 hornet

Ray7756

Ok guys I will be casting for my 22hornet, will be using gas checks I know i need to expand the necks to allow the head to start, question is do I then run them through the sizer to close the necks again ????
Cheers
Ray

No the bullet seating die will close up the flare.
Thanks for that was a bit worried about bullet heads falling out of the cases also maybe crimping to tight and ending up with dangerous pressures
Cheers
Ray

Thanks for that was a bit worried about bullet heads falling out of the cases also maybe crimping to tight and ending up with dangerous pressures
Cheers
Ray

Why would the BULLETS fall out of the necks?? :eek: How much of a flare do you plan on putting on the case mouths? It should be only just enough to allow the full length of the gas check to sear below the case mouth. The Lee Universal Expander Die is excellent for placing a gentle flare on the case mouths.

Crimp all you want. Unless you are loading an insane load you won't get any appreciable rise in pressure if the bullet is the proper fit.

Which reminds me, what do you plan on for loads?~Muir

Why would the BULLETS fall out of the necks?? :eek: How much of a flare do you plan on putting on the case mouths? It should be only just enough to allow the full length of the gas check to sear below the case mouth. The Lee Universal Expander Die is excellent for placing a gentle flare on the case mouths.

Crimp all you want. Unless you are loading an insane load you won't get any appreciable rise in pressure if the bullet is the proper fit.

Which reminds me, what do you plan on for loads?~Muir

This is my first time reloading in nearly 20 years, hence the daft questions, better to ask daft questions than have an accident, as to the loads i will use the Lyman cast bullet handbook loads to start with, for 44grn and 55grn cast bullets, both weights get best results with H110 powder, and no mention of lilgun powder ???
any sugestions would be welcome
will check out the Lee expander
Cheers
Ray

Last edited:
This is my first time reloading in nearly 20 years, hence the daft questions, better to ask daft questions than have an accident, as to the loads i will use the Lyman cast bullet handbook loads to start with, for 44grn and 55grn cast bullets, both weights get best results with H110 powder, and no mention of lilgun powder ???
any sugestions would be welcome
will check out the Lee expander
Cheers
Ray

Lil Gun is a very low pressure powder. I would try 10.0 of Lil Gun with the 44 grain and see what happens. Remember: It's not velocity that limits cast bullet performance, it's pressure. Run the pressures up past the yield strength of the alloy and it will lead regardless of the velocity. Just a peek at any reloading manual will show that pressure and velocity are not linked hand in hand. It is very possible to have high pressures and low velocities -which is a bad combo for cast bullets.

So a few further questions: What alloy? What diameter? What rifle? ~Muir

PS: I have been shooting cast bullets for just under 4 decades and the Lee Universal is the best expander on the market. Works well on jacketed bullets as well.

Lil Gun is a very low pressure powder. I would try 10.0 of Lil Gun with the 44 grain and see what happens. Remember: It's not velocity that limits cast bullet performance, it's pressure. Run the pressures up past the yield strength of the alloy and it will lead regardless of the velocity. Just a peek at any reloading manual will show that pressure and velocity are not linked hand in hand. It is very possible to have high pressures and low velocities -which is a bad combo for cast bullets.

So a few further questions: What alloy? What diameter? What rifle? ~Muir

PS: I have been shooting cast bullets for just under 4 decades and the Lee Universal is the best expander on the market. Works well on jacketed bullets as well.

Alloy is 90% pure lead 5% Tin 5% Antimony, same mix as Lyman #2 alloy
rifle CZ 527 American, dia .224 but havnt slugged the barrel yet
cheers
Ray

Alloy is 90% pure lead 5% Tin 5% Antimony, same mix as Lyman #2 alloy
rifle CZ 527 American, dia .224 but havnt slugged the barrel yet
cheers
Ray

I suspect two things: You won't be able to snug the bullet nose into the rifling on the CZ and the bullet, in general, will be undersized.

Cast bullet shooting is the almost the only time I care abut the distance to the lands. I have found best performance with the nose snugged into the lands. Diameter is another subject. .224" may shoot just fine. It would be better to load .225" at least, I believe. Slugging the bore and throat will be beneficial.~Muir

I suspect two things: You won't be able to snug the bullet nose into the rifling on the CZ and the bullet, in general, will be undersized.

Cast bullet shooting is the almost the only time I care abut the distance to the lands. I have found best performance with the nose snugged into the lands. Diameter is another subject. .224" may shoot just fine. It would be better to load .225" at least, I believe. Slugging the bore and throat will be beneficial.~Muir
Rechecked the mould and sizing dies, they are .225 luckily just waiting on the tin and antimony arriving

Back