firearms incident

SussexFallow

oh dear . reports of a firearms incident in peterlee cumbria on sky news. 4 dead

More grief for the shooting community !!

atb steve

I feel for the family of the victims but Certainly not good news for anyone within the shooting community. Once again the news covers the incident without expressing if the shotgun / firearm was lawfully owned . I sometimes struggle to see the difference between someone being shot than someone being stabbed to death with a kitchen knife or intentionly ran down and killed by a motor vehicle ,if a persons intention is to kill someone then the tool used to do it is not relivant . The fact is that its murder and you dont need a license for a kitchen knife .

Oh S--t ive just read the thread in legal issues concerning drink driving and firearms and my intention was not to create a discusion about legal issues and the fors and against , just stated my personal oppinion .

jesus just watched sky news, its practically on my door step only 10 miles away,what brings someone to loose control so badiy to commit an act like this, the police have just stated that 3 shotguns and 3 section 1 firearms were legally held by the house owner who is dead at the scene, get tight a hold boys were in for a rough ride the mans been named as a michael atherton, did anyone on here know him?

Last edited:
that's a very sad piece of news, four people dead and whatever the reasons there's nothing can change it. It will now be a case of the investigation to see who or what was at fault to let this happen.

From AOL.

A man who shot himself after killing three women last night was a licensed holder of firearms, it emerged today.
The bodies of the man, in his 40s, and the three women were found in close proximity downstairs in the semi-detached house in Greenside Avenue, Peterlee, after officers were alerted to shots being fired shortly before 11.45pm yesterday.
This morning at a press conference Superintendent Ivan Wood confirmed that a resident of the house held a firearms licence.
Police also confirmed that a teenage woman who suffered minor injuries escaped through an upstairs window, and there were other people in the house at the time who also survived, including a man who was initially arrested but later released without charge.
Detective Superintendent Paul Goundry said all the deceased were related. He also revealed that police had had "minor contact" with the family in the past.
A 19-year-old woman who was admitted to hospital with minor shotgun injuries had been discharged, police said
A spokesman said all four are related or known to each other and at this stage they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the deaths. A shotgun was found lying next to the man's body.
Neighbours in Greenside Avenue said the people involved were "normal, ordinary people".
Robert Bailey, 72, a long-standing resident of Greenside Avenue, spoke of his shock following the news.
"There is shock. There is never any trouble here and we have been here for nearly 50 years," he said.
Durham Police said officers were alerted by a caller reporting that a number of people had been shot inside the property.
Firearms officers were quickly deployed to the scene and when they entered the property they discovered four bodies - one male, three female - in different rooms in the downstairs of the house. Paramedics confirmed all four were dead at the scene.
The man is believed to be in his early 40s and while the ages of the female victims have not yet been established, it is thought the youngest was in her teens.
The area has been cordoned off since shortly after midnight and police say the house will be subjected to a forensic examination.
Anyone with information is being asked to contact Durham Constabulary on 101 or to ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

slide_203046_583971_small.jpg
slide_203046_583972_small.jpg
slide_203046_583973_small.jpg
slide_203046_583974_small.jpg
slide_203046_583975_small.jpg
slide_203046_583976_small.jpg
slide_203046_583977_small.jpg

slide_203046_583971_huge.jpg

Plenty going on. Speaking to my brother last night I found out the Manchester shooting was on my nieces doorstep. At the moment the shooting seems to be a family insident. There is no reason for doom and gloom on the FAC department. If he wanted it to happen with no guns he would have found another way. Jim

Plenty going on. Speaking to my brother last night I found out the Manchester shooting was on my nieces doorstep. At the moment the shooting seems to be a family insident. There is no reason for doom and gloom on the FAC department. If he wanted it to happen with no guns he would have found another way. Jim
A dreadfull tradjedy of course,and I agree he would have found another way,but I am afraid the public at large wont see it that way,they will just see another killing spree with firearms, oh dear oh dear:(

This is tragic news indeed and one can only feel for the family and friends of the victims.

Can I also take this opportunity to make a gentle reminder that we, as in shooters in general, but also this site which is completely open for the world to see, will undoubtedly be under scrutiny from the public and the media and to consider carefully how posts that are made with the best of intentions can be misinterpreted outside of context and the site.

I know it's easy to get caught up in it but please try to avoid making suppositions or criticisms about the case which are going to undoubtedly arise fuelled by the inevitable media frenzy.

Lastly I know I can speak for the members of the site and the admin team in extending our heartfelt sympathies to the friends and family of the victims in this tragedy.

Alex

tragic of course but sounds like drink may have fuelled things as csl says we cannot jump to wild statements
notice the press again makeing out "6weapons in house" not that police have said they were even the one "shotgun " used.
They are at it already

This is tragic news indeed and one can only feel for the family and friends of the victims.

Can I also take this opportunity to make a gentle reminder that we, as in shooters in general, but also this site which is completely open for the world to see, will undoubtedly be under scrutiny from the public and the media and to consider carefully how posts that are made with the best of intentions can be misinterpreted outside of context and the site.

I know it's easy to get caught up in it but please try to avoid making suppositions or criticisms about the case which are going to undoubtedly arise fuelled by the inevitable media frenzy.

Lastly I know I can speak for the members of the site and the admin team in extending our heartfelt sympathies to the friends and family of the victims in this tragedy.

Alex

Well said

tragic of course but sounds like drink may have fuelled things as csl says we cannot jump to wild statements
notice the press again makeing out "6weapons in house" not that police have said they were even the one "shotgun " used.
They are at it already
the police were making a statement on live regional news and a reporter asked what firearms were held at the address and durham police replied with the firearms held at the address, not which were used,but the media local to us are keep repeating the fact that it was a legally held gun as if there reveling in the fact,not that 4 people have tragically died

Is it just me spotting the irony in that statement?

Do you have evidence to back that up roe? If not it's pure conjecture and there's no room for it here.

My heart goes out to the family! Having known similar in my own family (not firearms related, he used a knife instead) I know that anyone involved is feeling that their world has collapsed in on them.

just up the road from me too..the only good thing (if you can call it that!) to come out of this is at least he did not go on the rampage and hurt/kill more!

I join with those others who feel for the relatives & the ones who had a close call, as I write, the knee jerk now becomes evident, local MP on the box trotting out the usual "Tighten up this & that" half of the people making comments & reports on camera don't even know what they are commenting on, I was heartened to note the senior police officer making considered replies to the type of firearms involved / held, when repeatedly pushed by reporters.

I join with those others who feel for the relatives & the ones who had a close call, as I write, the knee jerk now becomes evident, local MP on the box trotting out the usual "Tighten up this & that" half of the people making comments & reports on camera don't even know what they are commenting on, I was heartened to note the senior police officer making considered replies to the type of firearms involved / held, when repeatedly pushed by reporters.

Furthermore the appetite to persecute shooters is not in fashion any longer.

Social values are such now that people are more concerned about where their next latest version of their iPhone is going to come from.

Also, the fact is that there is actually nowhere else to go in terms of further restrictions.

In these austere times that we live in the authorities would not have the resources to cope with any additional legislation in any case.

The MP is looking to resurrect the discussion in high places, on firearms of any sort being stored "At home"................... Wonder if they will ever see the light on the handgun ban? no more legally held short arms, with the exception of a few specials, & the handgun crimes have gone through the roof.

Dear All,

Yes it is very sad indeed.

Of course we are on top of this as much as we can be.

Our regional teams in the North and Midlands are giving live interviews to local media today; our national media team are dealing with the national press and media.

Until the reports come out from the police investigation it will be wrong to draw any hypothetical conclusions.

We will be calling for calm and no knee jerk reaction

Regards

David

Let's leave BASC to do their job with the press, and police their job with the investigation. A man's opinion is only as good as the information they have. 99.9 % of us do not not know the facts, so lets not invent them.

I see that BBC 24 are asking the question as to "why he was allowed to have "six" gun licences "
I take it things are done differently where that reporter comes from ! ! !

Miniscule knowledge maximum drama ! :-|

Back